Green Cabbage Leather - Chemical Warfare?

Constantine

I have a Green Cabbage Leather coral like this...

https://www.tidalgardens.com/stock-neon-green-cabbage-leather.html

I got it from a friend that was shutting down his tank and didn't know what it was. Do I need to worry about chemical warfare?

In the tank:
Octospawn
Frogspawn
Duncans
GSP
Mushrooms (Discos, Rhodactis, Ricordia)
Pavona Maldivensis

Filtration:
Biological
Skimmer

75 gal tank

If this will release toxins that harm the other coral, I'll just find another home for it. I appreciate the advice!

They can but usually will not. Do you have a way to run carbon?

Not really. I like to keep things simple and don't have a sump or additional filtration. I have lots of space for it to sit away from other coral, but I don't know how big it can get.

Are there signs it is hurting other coral, or do I just wake up one morning and everything else is dead?

no. cabbage coral will not nuke your corals. it might release chemical to inhibit other corals from growing. running carbon will do the trick if u see your corals not acting normal.

Leather corals can release chemicals for defense..
The potential is there the likely hood as far as we know is quite uncommon..

Most wouldn't worry about it but the potential can/is always there..

With chemical warfare we do not have the hobby level means to determine when that is happening.. We can try to prevent issues by running carbon..

If in doubt you can always add a HOB filter & run carbon that way, just need to keep an eye on it tho since it will get dirty fast & require cleanings like a sock would. I have no sumps so i run one on both tanks & works great. Pods live in it also sorta a mini refugium.

Back