Green Hair Algae - Ready to Give Up!

Green Hair Algae - Ready to Give Up!

I had a really bad case of GHA explode in my 180 over a couple month period. It was so bad it was also growing in the sand.

I didn't think I was going to win the battle and worse I didn't think my SPS would survive the battle but to my surprise I won over a 1 1/2 month battle.

Here's what I did:

- daily dose of Lanthium Chloride 1/4 of recommended daily
- scrubbed rocks and suctioned out algae into filter sock weekly
- weekly water change of 25-30g
- changed out filter socks twice a week
- cleaned out algae that was not chaeto from sump weekly
- ran high capacity gfo (15-20 teaspoons), changed out every week
- dosed MB7 bacteria last 2 weeks

Slow but steady and my SPS not only remained colorful but also grew.

I did notice my Alk was in the low 7s otherwise I think the corals would've burned.

Good luck. Don't give up!

You should get a TDS meter to make sure your RODI is 0 ppm. Also consider what light spectrum you have on your leds. Some colors may cause green hair algae growth. For sure red legged hermit crabs do an incredible job removing algae on the rocks. However the glass and backwall should be removed manually or fish that would eat it such as a lawnmower blenny. Consider also having a cheato to outcompete the hair algae. Reduce the lighting time as well.

I did not read any of the other posts, but I can say with 100% affirmation that:

Phosphate Rx works !!!

Just follow the directions and start slow (like a couple drops slow). It killed off ALL my nasty algae -- GHA, turf, etc. in a matter of days w/o changing any other system parameters. One of the best additives I have ever bought in this hobby.

Back