Green Hair Algae - Ready to Give Up!

Hair Algae is the hobby killer. Most people have abandoned their tanks because of a long war with algae.

I have dealt with several out breaks over 35 years of keeping tanks. I can tell you that it's not nutrients leaching pout ofo your rocks and that blackouts do nothing more than kill the larger visible sections and release back the Nitrate and Phosphate from their decay back into the water. As soon as the lights go back on the surviving spores will start to grow very quickly and in a month you will be back to square one.

They Algae needs two things to survive, nutrients and light.

Your Nutrients cannot be zero or the Algae would not be thriving. Your Nitrates and Phosphates must be something other than zero! I suggest you get new reagents and test again.

Water changes, less feeding and a cleanup crew do go a long way to solving the problem but if it doesn't you might also want to pick a method for lowering your Nitrate. Carbon dosing, Sulfur reactor. Just pick something if water changes do not solve the problem.

BTW a friend of mine has a way of getting rid of it, but he has two tanks. He removes all the fish and corals from the first tank and then does the opposite. He cranks up the light and flow until the Algae is in heaven. He lets it grow until strands are like a foot long and everywhere. Then he just harvests out the long stuff and lets the rest grow some more. Within a about two months the Algae has eaten through every nutrients in the water and just starts to die off rapidly. When its all gone He then uses a large amount of carbon in his reactor and kills the lights for three days to polish the water.

Last edited:
Ok, so what I have been doing, because I have been battling HA for about 18 months and this has made life much better is: I ordered some 12% h2o2 from eBay, about a pint of it, I shut off all the flow and then I use a salifert titration syringe to apply it to the base of the adage. It works wonders. Most corals are unaffected by it but a couple seemed to not tolerate it. 2ml/gallon of tank water in one day is fine and about 2-3 days later you will see once clean patches of rock wher you hit the mark.

Once applied, let it fizz the algae to death for 5-10 min before turning the flow back on.

Ok, so what I have been doing, because I have been battling HA for about 18 months and this has made life much better is: I ordered some 12% h2o2 from eBay, about a pint of it, I shut off all the flow and then I use a salifert titration syringe to apply it to the base of the adage. It works wonders. Most corals are unaffected by it but a couple seemed to not tolerate it. 2ml/gallon of tank water in one day is fine and about 2-3 days later you will see once clean patches of rock wher you hit the mark.

Once applied, let it fizz the algae to death for 5-10 min before turning the flow back on.
Be careful with H2O2 if you have any nems. I did this once and it irritated my condylactis, which then released its toxins and nuked the whole tank. Before adding the nem, I'd done it successfully a number of times.

You can spot treat with boiling hot RODI water applied with a turkey baster and it works just as well if not better. You just can't get right next to coral as you can with H2O2. The boiled GHA must be delicious, because my CUC go crazy over it. Even my clowns will pick at it.

I've been battling GHA for about 6 months, and I'm just now getting on top of it. What's finally worked best has been slowly increasing the number of turbo snails. Pincushion urchins are great too, but mine always die within a couple of weeks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Be careful with H2O2 if you have any nems. I did this once and it irritated my condylactis, which then released its toxins and nuked the whole tank. Before adding the nem, I'd done it successfully a number of times.

I have an RBTA and it doesn't even seem to notice and I've done it better than 20 times. sounds like a lot but I'm winning the battle and the war.

I'm staring at a bottle of Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner at this very moment. I have a tank that has some really stubborn spots of hair algae. The tank is pretty mature and the algae doesn't return when I pull a rock out and scrub it with peroxide. The algae I have issues with is on rocks that can't be removed. Carbon dosing, GFO, LC, Reef Flux, urchins, crabs, snails, et al, haven't brought it to its knees. So... Vibrant gets the nod. There are lots of threads on RC and other places that are talking about this product. Almost all of them are positive. Thought I'd give it a try. Might work for the OP also.

I'm into week 6 of Vibrant treating, GHA is gone but the nitrate spike caused a Cyano outbreak. I would certainly monitor parameters if the GHA is overgrown, but I couldn't be happier with this product. The GHA is gone and now I'm just doing cleanup on my bubble algea trying to reduce and destroy.

I'm into week 6 of Vibrant treating, GHA is gone but the nitrate spike caused a Cyano outbreak. I would certainly monitor parameters if the GHA is overgrown, but I couldn't be happier with this product. The GHA is gone and now I'm just doing cleanup on my bubble algea trying to reduce and destroy.

Good to hear. I haven't started yet but have high hopes. It might help the OP if you communicated your HA experiences that led you to trying Vibrant.

With available shells, Scarlet Red Hermits can easily grow to 1".

This red leg consumed all of the others over two years until he was the only one left. He also had one claw that was twice as large as the other....not seen this before.

My clowns actually lie down in their nem at night, the crab likely picked him off from a ledge, just to the right, but that part is just a guess.

What value is gained by BS?

When the algae ran out, the red leg consumed all of the others over two years until he was the only one left. He also had one claw that was twice as large as the other....not seen this before.

My clowns actually lie down in their nem at night, the crab likely picked him off from a ledge, just to the right, but that part is just a guess.

Fact is crabs cannot be trusted.

When the algae ran out, the red leg consumed all of the others over two years until he was the only one left. He also had one claw that was twice as large as the other....not seen this before.

Fact is crabs cannot be trusted.
Are you sure that that crab was a Scarlett hermit (Paguristes cadenati) and not a different, similar looking species?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Short term- Kill the HA with API's AlgaeFix Marine. There is a lengthy topic here on RC about it's success - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595003

Long term, launch an Algae Turf Scrubber. Grow the algae where you want to. You can also launch a cheato reactor as well. This is the natural way to remove the excess nutrients in your tank.

This is what I have done, and after the initial treatment of AlgaeFix and launching an ats, and sometimes a cheato reactor, I have been algae free in my display tank for over 5 years. You can look that up.

Are you sure that that crab was a Scarlett hermit (Paguristes cadenati) and not a different, similar looking species?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Could be very possible, I not very versed at all in crabs, I understand there are some 4000 species......just way too much money in livestock to take any risk.

It was red and a hermit and labeled red hermit, but who knows. It 20 years ago now and found out that they are not necessary to control anything.

Only thing I ever saw crabs eating was snails.

Last edited:
So, here's an update:

I removed some of the rock (the rock that seemed to have most of the hair algae growth that would reappear continuously. I also added Phosphate-E everyday (2 capfuls for the last 7 or 8 days, and changed filter sock every 3 days. Everything else remained the same.

Hair algae still grows. Other corals don't seem that happy. Hanna Phosphorous ULR checker still reads 0.

So for me, whether I add Phosphate-E or run GFO in a reactor, hair algae still grows.

Next step is to eliminate the dry food I am feeding and switch to frozen food. After that, if no change, I am going to reduce my lighting period even more. I'll keep going and changing or eliminating one thing at a time, but I have to say...I am really at a loss right now since the common wisdom always seems to point to excess phosphate.

Hmmm!

So once hair algae is established, it competes for any ammonium, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate produced by the biological functions occurring in the system. All of these exist in a biologically available form in a system at least for a short time. You may never starve hair algae that is well established. It is growing at the nutrient input source and is very efficient at using it.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to use Vibrant to see if I can break the cycle.

How to kill green hair algae in aquariums fast using hydrogen peroxide.
For freshwater & saltwater aquariums!
(12% hydrogen peroxide) dose no more than 3ml per 10 gallons of tank water every other day. Green hair algae will disappear fast and will not harm fish or coral. Do not dose more than this recommended amount of hydrogen peroxide or your coral and inverts can be affected.
Increase dosage as needed if using lower % hydrogen peroxide.

Hydrogen Peroxide 12%
https://amzn.to/2LzSckL

Videos about dosing hydrogen peroxide
https://www.youtube.com/user/guitarkid5/search?query=hydrogen

Back