Green Star Polyp closed

trainman123

My Green Star Polyp has been closed for about a week now and was wondering if it could've gotten some sand on it algae if that would prevent it from opening up or is it just a phase it goes thru.

^ This. If a coral closes and stays closed, it's time to run ALL tests. Chemical issue is likely. There's a sticky post way up there that covers water chemistry in detail: "Cycling is not the end of it"---and for convenience I have a set of good-for-pretty-well-everything list of parameters in my sig line. If you have not yet bought tests for dkh alk, ca, and magnesium, I recommend Salifert as giving you precise numbers on those tests down to decimals.

^ This. If a coral closes and stays closed, it's time to run ALL tests. Chemical issue is likely. There's a sticky post way up there that covers water chemistry in detail: "Cycling is not the end of it"---and for convenience I have a set of good-for-pretty-well-everything list of parameters in my sig line. If you have not yet bought tests for dkh alk, ca, and magnesium, I recommend Salifert as giving you precise numbers on those tests down to decimals.
I used a turkey baster and flew the coral off and now they opened up. I'm thinking they had debris on it from the sand after a water change

Might you have a fish picking at it? My GSP was in various stages of open/closed, mostly closed, for about 3 years before I realized my tang was picking at it. It is open and growing in a QT tank now.

Same with a sympodium I just put in the tank.

Might you have a fish picking at it? My GSP was in various stages of open/closed, mostly closed, for about 3 years before I realized my tang was picking at it. It is open and growing in a QT tank now.

Same with a sympodium I just put in the tank.

The only fish I have is a clownfish and he tends to stay away from the coral. They are opened up now after I blew them off.

I have read that GSP can get debris or algae on it with not enough flow across it that makes it stay closed. Looks like you found the solution to get it out by blowing it off. Do you have enough flow on it. I have my flow on 30 sec alternating and I can viusually see my GSP flow to one side and then the other with a fair amount of flow.

GSP can be kind of moody sometimes. If everything else looks good I wouldn't worry about it too much. GL.

Back