Growing Gracillaria

vmiller

Premium Member
I am attempting to grow some red and green Gracillaria that I received about a week ago and it's already losing it's color. I have it in an isolated tank to prevent pods from eating it and to be able to supplement iron without worrying about side effects on my reef. Any advice on growing this stuff, or even keeping it alive? Here's my setup

10 gal tank
maxijet 250 powerhead (66 gph)
65W lights of america flourex lamp
75W heater

I occasionaly add flake food to introduce some nutrients and add 2 drops of Kent's iron daily. I was thinking of adding a small fish to the tank to establish a nutrient cycle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Vin

Nutrient deficit?
You could just plumb your grow-out to an existing display tank. If it already IS plumbed in (your post suggests, but does not outright claim it), then...

Iron alone isn't going to provide for your Gracilaria ---there is a dizzying host of metals that are notably assimilated by most algae in that Genus.

Furthermore, most strandy, soft Gracilaria (I presume that is what you are culturing, and not stiff, stubby stuff like G. salicornia, etc.) benefit from a tousling-tumbling (not 'tearing') current.

Gracilaria's are also gross feeders that need lots of nutrients. In additon to iron additions I use an organic fertilizer to provide Nitrogen and Phosophorus in culture ponds kept outdoors under direct sun. The gracilaria is however kept under a blanket of Ulva which shades it.

Back