GRRRRRRR loud damn skimmer

That sounds horrible! I guess you've made sure it is all hooked up with tight connections? Have you tried putting some shelf liner foamy stuff under it?

That sounds horrible! I guess you've made sure it is all hooked up with tight connections? Have you tried putting some shelf liner foamy stuff under it?

I thought about it but upon holding the skimmer elevated in the water and the sound remaining I didn't. I just want make sure this sound isn't normal. I brought the pump back once and lfs thought it was ok. Guessing they tried it without the air line.

I'm on dial-up so I didn't watch tape. Did you check your pin wheel, shaft ok, mag and housing smooth, no gravel snails? Did it have proper, not worn out seat on both ends of shaft. Some, such as ASM Skimmer are kinda loud, high vibration pumps, I had a Eurro-Reef with a Sedra pump that sounded like a sonic bath, it was normal for that pump

I'm on dial-up so I didn't watch tape. Did you check your pin wheel, shaft ok, mag and housing smooth, no gravel snails? Did it have proper, not worn out seat on both ends of shaft. Some, such as ASM Skimmer are kinda loud, high vibration pumps, I had a Eurro-Reef with a Sedra pump that sounded like a sonic bath, it was normal for that pump

I tried higher and lower water height. New pump and was inspected by lfs for correctly assembled. It isn't the air intake making the noise. It is vibration.

Is it a new skimmer? I had the same noise with my new octopus, it was very annoying, I was just about to send the pump in for replacement and then it just stopped the loud noise all of a sudden.It was wierd cause everything was hooked up right and there was no debris in it all. It has been almost a year now and its still working great. What kind of pump is it? Is the otp?

Is it a new skimmer? I had the same noise with my new octopus, it was very annoying, I was just about to send the pump in for replacement and then it just stopped the loud noise all of a sudden.It was wierd cause everything was hooked up right and there was no debris in it all. It has been almost a year now and its still working great. What kind of pump is it? Is the otp?

new and otp, how long did it take to stop

It was a little over 2 weeks, maybe something is wrong with the new OTP pump design. My main concern is that whatever was causing the sound might have shortened the life of my pump. You should get the pump replaced, thats what i should have done but I had no backup skimmer, my bio-load is HUGE and I feed ALOT, so I didnt want to run without one.

It was a little over 2 weeks, maybe something is wrong with the new OTP pump design. My main concern is that whatever was causing the sound might have shortened the life of my pump. You should get the pump replaced, thats what i should have done but I had no backup skimmer, my bio-load is HUGE and I feed ALOT, so I didnt want to run without one.

New one coming fewwww. Glad it's not normal or I would have had to return it and get something else.. Huge pain as I would have to drain and move my sump to get it out.

The OTP pump has rubber noise reducers on the pump feet. if that still fails to quite is make sure the needle wheel still has the rubber pieces on each end or the impellar shaft. The silencer is a must but the sound is more of a vibration not an air suction. May be some cavitation....

Back