Gyre vs wave makers

Dag302

Wanted to say great site and have learned a lot. Setting up my first tank in years. Purchased a 75 gallon cube (36x24x20) from SC Aquariums. Just getting water in it to start cycling and have started looking at water movement. Have been trying to research doing one gyre style pump vs 2 wave makers. Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with using on this size or near this size tank.i really like the idea of one gyre just for the minimalist look. Any input is appreciated.

Gyres are great... when they are clean. They lose literally 80% of their strength after 2-3 weeks of biofouling. For that reason, I probably will not use them again in the future. They do provide great laminar flow though.

I haven't had that problem, it definitely gets louder after a month of so but still has plenty of flow. I have the Icecap 3k which I guess is comparable to the new 4k

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/pro...p-wifi-controller?_pos=5&_sid=f08f16e06&_ss=r

I think it would be a good choice for your tank as it's on the shorter side so if you go 4k you can run it at a lower speed to keep noise down.

Maybe add a smaller pump on the other side of on the back to get some varied flow but it depends what you're keeping

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I do enjoy the flow from my gyre, however it was a constant battle at first. But I do think he newer versions are made better with less issues.

Corey

Back