Halimeda in Pico Jarquarium

davidcalgary29

After a fifteen-year break, I thought I'd get back into saltwater tanks by setting up a pico jar tank populated only with halimeda -- no livestock. Does anyone have any tips for lighting, flow, and calcium requirements?

After a fifteen-year break, I thought I'd get back into saltwater tanks by setting up a pico jar tank populated only with halimeda -- no livestock. Does anyone have any tips for lighting, flow, and calcium requirements?

In a pico, I would just buy a cheap par 24 or 30 bulb that has a fair amount of blue diodes. I have had good luck with those for a pico jar in the past. For flow I have used airstones and weekly water changes should meet the calcium needs.

Thanks! I had planned to test water frequently, as I've read that halimeda is picky that way.

I'm planning to use "seiryu" stone bought off Amazon for landscaping -- I want to build a "desert" landscape. Has anyone used these in a pico setup? I'm somewhat concerned about calcium oversaturation, but maybe that won't be a problem with extended prep.

You should be fine in terms of calcium. Macroalgae is very hardy and can thrive in a wide range of parameters.

Build thread?

You should be fine in terms of calcium. Macroalgae is very hardy and can thrive in a wide range of parameters.

Build thread?

Do you think that I should peruse the build thread for ideas, or post this project there? That's very nice of you to suggest this, but I don't think that too many people would be interested in the goings-on of macroalgae in a converted snack jar. Maybe if I name the clumps and create a twitter account for them...

On a related note, I was thinking of buying a decorative 5 gallon drink dispenser and turn it into a pico aquarium. It'd be awesome if I took one, replaced the spigot, and threaded all lines through the opening, and then sealed it to make it waterproof. That's certainly going to be better than my plan of drilling a hole through the lid with a glass cutter and threading lines through that...

You're right, there aren't too many macroalgae people around, especially here on Reef Central. I would be interested, and there are a few others on here

That's a pretty cool idea with the drink dispenser.

Do you think that I should peruse the build thread for ideas, or post this project there? That's very nice of you to suggest this, but I don't think that too many people would be interested in the goings-on of macroalgae in a converted snack jar. Maybe if I name the clumps and create a twitter account for them...

On a related note, I was thinking of buying a decorative 5 gallon drink dispenser and turn it into a pico aquarium. It'd be awesome if I took one, replaced the spigot, and threaded all lines through the opening, and then sealed it to make it waterproof. That's certainly going to be better than my plan of drilling a hole through the lid with a glass cutter and threading lines through that...

I like the 5 gallon drink container idea and utilizing the spigot. Making sure that it does not leak will probably be your biggest challenge, but it's a clever use of an already established opening.

Reading other threads on pico's of that size, it seems like 100% water changes every week seems to keep them running stably and calcium is maintained at a fairly constant level which should suit the halimeda.

I am interested in your snack jar with macro algae, just so you know!

Well, thanks, guys! Maybe I will post these projects in the build thread after all.

I thought alot about the spigot problem, and think that I'm going to try to use latex condoms around the fittings with silicone sealant to address the sure-fire leakage problems that are going to ensue -- we all know how corrosive salt water can be.

Back