Hanna Checker

evh5150

In Memoriam
My reading was 247 what does that come out to be. I just bought the Hanna Calcium and Alkalinity checker. I think the Calcium checker is terrible, but like the Alkalinity checker. So what does 247 mean.

If Alk is showing 247, that equals 13.832 dKH. The formula is 247*0.056 to calculate in terms of dKH.

I have found the ALK checker to be reliable.

13.832 is a bit high in my opinion, but I tend to keep my Alk around 8dKH. Having said that, thats just my preference, as I like to keep my tank parameters as close to NSW as possible. I would aim to get the alk down to around 11dKH at a max.

A calcium reactor would help keep these 2 components in check I would assume. Was thinking of adding the Super Reef Octopus 1000 reactor to my 90 system? Just starting to get into sps and it is addicting. So why not do it right

Take it one step at a time. Get your Alk, MG and CA stable at the level you wish, and then add the CA RX. Also, depending on the demand in your tank, dosing 2-part may be another avenue to look at, over a CA RX.

Lots of ways to run a healthy and successful reef, but key is getting your water chemistry in check first, then add SPS corals.

Back