HANNA Copper False Positive and BAD Support Experience

jjencek

I use several Hanna checkers and I have been very happy with them except for my latest experience.

When dosing copper into my QT, I always use the Hanna Copper LR tester. One day I needed a quick water change and I used water from my DT. My Hanna Copper showed crazy numbers in 0.400 ppm range. The water in my DT was measuring these values. Of course I panicked and started to remove the copper with absorbents, water changes, etc. Nothing was changing the numbers. The thing that was strange was that nothing was dying. I sent out for the ICP test and it came back with no copper or any unwanted metals.

I emailed Hanna in the US asking them if they new of any false positives and also offered to help them find what additives were causing it in my tank. Never heard back from them.

I live in Prague ... so I went to the local Hanna branch and talked to the technical person there. First I was told I did not know how to use it. When I offered to work with him, he told me he was not interested in helping me or figuring out the problem. His answer was that it reacts with many things and he could not do anything about it anyway.

I suspect that I know the answer and doing a few tests would confirm it. But why should I spent money on the reagent to help somebody that does not want my help?

If somebody on this list has a better experience with Hanna support and knows anybody in that company who might care, let me know.

I don't know why the kit was having such problems, but a new batch of reagents might work better. The company didn't seem to be very helpful, though, so you might want to look into the SeaChem kit or some other product. I haven't read many reviews of the Hanna copper kit, or the other kits, for that matter. Sigh!

I don't know why the kit was having such problems, but a new batch of reagents might work better.

I tried three different batches of reagents - not the problem.

I am suspecting the Bacto Balance product by Tropic Marin is causing the false positive result. If anybody with the Hanna Checker and Bacto Balance wants to run a test, please let me know the result.

Hanna does not care, but maybe Tropic Marin would like to know.

Hmm, that's interesting. I don't know enough about how that test works to speculate on what might be causing the problem.

That is weird and sad the vendor is unwilling to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back