has anyone done a closed loop on a 20g tank?

Naperville Reef

what is a good pump?

probably going to use 1" tubing. what size bulkheads?

any other ideas/recommendations?

one other thing, the tank is up and running. i can remove most of the SPS but some rocks and corals will remain in the tank. is this a BAD idea????????

I have heard others say that you can drill a tank with water in it but personally I don't think I would because of the risk of either cracking the tank or getting glass shavings in it.

Since the tank is just a 20L why not buy a new one, get all the plumbing setup and tested then swap them out. The biggest problem I see for you is the false bottom you have in your current tank.

One alternative would be to get a temporary tank w/a hang on overflow and replumb your existing tank. I could loan you either a 20L or a 20H plus an overflow for a few weeks if you need it.

Another option would be to do a hang-on closed loop which requires no new holes to be drilled in the tank, but it would not look nearly as clean.

As far as the pump and plumbing sizes to use, that will depend on if you are going to use a OM or not. If you do, I think you have to use a pressure rated pump because when the drum rotates, it actually stops flow during the cutover process.

I would think something like either Ehiem 1250 or Quiet One 1200 would work pretty well with 1.25" plumbing. Both would yield about 300 GPH. Would you want more than that?

i thought about buying a new 20L and it probably would be the safer thing to do but the starboard and aquascaping are holding me back from going that route.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9249581#post9249581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ppurcell
I would think something like either Ehiem 1250 or Quiet One 1200 would work pretty well with 1.25" plumbing. Both would yield about 300 GPH. Would you want more than that?

it will be replacing 2 Maxi-Jet 1200s so i am looking for a pump around 600gph. was looking at the Quiet One 2200 and the Pan World 50PX but know nothing about either of them.

obviously i am looking for one that is quiet and reliable with no leaks.

Under Monster Nano, I did two 20G Finnex Cubes. One, my current nano, is using an Ocean Motions Squirt with a Mag 7, with locline over the reefwall.

The other one I have, which I have no use for, is drilled through, also with locline, with a SCWD and a Mag 7.

If you are determined to drill the tank with water in it then I would probably take a piece of acrylic and drill the size hole you need in it as a guide and then take another solid piece of acrylic (for the inside of the tank to trap the shavings) and clamp both to the tank with the glass in middle.

Drill the glass, vacuum out the hole as best you can to remove the glass shavings, then remove the form and repeat for the other holes.

Sounds like a lot of risk for my taste though...So I think I would be prepared with a wet-vac and another tank just in case.

As far as pumps go, I have QO1200 and the Eheim1250, both are very quiet. I can't offer any opinions about the Pan World. Small Mag pumps may or may not be ok for external use. I've had mixed results with them leaking.

Last edited:
well, phil, now you got me thinking. the risks really do outweigh the work of aquascaping my tank. maybe i should just buy a new tank and do it the right way.... paint the back, drill it for a closed loop, etc...... plus i am not in love with the BB look. i am glad i tried it but i do like the look of a sand bottom better.

Back