Having a few problems, some one please help me out!!!

chefbenry89

The fact that my tank is in an algeal bloom is my first problem, however not what i am here for. my tank is 3-4 months old and has been going great, but now i have ran into a few problems. First of all my light broke, ita a 250W halide with 2- 65W attinics. i gues im kinda lucky the halide is ok, just the 1 attinic broke. So my question is whether or not that poses a threat to my tank? Ok so recently i saw a pic of someone elses skimmer cup online, and the goo was like black and almost looked thick. if this is right why is mine brown and kinda watery? it fills up about every day.

By the way, my system is set up a little different. I have a 700 Gph pump in my display tank, pumping water up to my sump/fuge. i am also using a canister filter moving an extra 300 gph to the sump, I am using this mostly to catch particals in the water. i will use it for a month and then clean it and not hook it back up, next month the water looks Fuzzy, Im not sure but i think sand is getting kicked up sometimes then the fine particals do not fall back down, my tank water is moving pretty fast. the 1000gph flowing through my sumpis then gravity fed through 2" Pvc into the display

Way too many questions at once. I suggest one at a time.

I'll start with the light. The light minus the actinic should not be a problem depending on what your keeping and when you plan on replacing it. I think we need more info on your system.

Is it a reef tank?
SPS LPS softies?
How many gallons?

Would be a basic start.

The fact that my tank is in an algeal bloom is my first problem, however not what i am here for. my tank is 3-4 months old and has been going great, but now i have ran into a few problems. First of all my light broke, ita a 250W halide with 2- 65W attinics. i gues im kinda lucky the halide is ok, just the 1 attinic broke. So my question is whether or not that poses a threat to my tank? Ok so recently i saw a pic of someone elses skimmer cup online, and the goo was like black and almost looked thick. if this is right why is mine brown and kinda watery? it fills up about every day.

By the way, my system is set up a little different. I have a 700 Gph pump in my display tank, pumping water up to my sump/fuge. i am also using a canister filter moving an extra 300 gph to the sump, I am using this mostly to catch particals in the water. i will use it for a month and then clean it and not hook it back up, next month the water looks Fuzzy, Im not sure but i think sand is getting kicked up sometimes then the fine particals do not fall back down, my tank water is moving pretty fast. the 1000gph flowing through my sumpis then gravity fed through 2" Pvc into the display

should be ok
you need to tune your skimmer
second paragraph makes very little sense, try specifying one specific question

It is a 55 gal reef tank, i think all softies for now. interested in a lot of corals. the second paragraph is just letting you know what i use and why. the only question there is what i should do about the skimmer... Tune it! thanks, so how do i go about doing that?

It is a 55 gal reef tank, i think all softies for now. interested in a lot of corals. the second paragraph is just letting you know what i use and why. the only question there is what i should do about the skimmer... Tune it! thanks, so how do i go about doing that?

most skimmers have a tuning knob somewhere that allows more/less air to come into the chamber... if your unit is clear and see thru you shouldnt have a problem finding it... just look thru and see how much bubbles are being created and go from there. altamamtely i dont think it really matters no matter what its still working it just needs to be emptied sooner. Most likely you'd like to get less air in. good luck
What kind of skimmer?

Last edited:
Have you test your water parameters? High phosphate levels contributes to algae. Water changes help as to chemical filters like Phosban or Chemipure.

Back