Heater cracked. Electrocuted my fish.

Onebad93

So I had a heater cracked. Yes it was older, should have been replaced, but it's too late for that.

Only had two fish and a few big shrimp in the tank. None of them died, but their breathing seems strained and they are laying on the bottom.

Inhabitants are a lionfish and corral banded shark. Is there any hope for them? Do I just put them out of their missery?

Change as much water as you can and buy polyfilter and get it into the tank ASAP. If they are still breathing there is hope.

All good points. I was going to do a water change, but the parameters I measured seemed okay.

I'll change it anyhow. Thank you.

Wow Multiples of Saddness. I had the same thing happen to me and I lost about 10k in live stock in my 65 gallon tank. It was quiet the Master Piece of a SPS tank with a lot of collector grade coral colonies and mated pair of Blue Striped Clown Fish. A couple of corals and fish survived but it was a long process to recovery. Like the other said if they are still alive there is hope...hang in there and see what happens.

by the way - was this a glass tube heater ?
i have ones that are titanium casing so i do not think they can crack.
or can they ??

by the way - was this a glass tube heater?
i have ones that are titanium casing so I do not think they can crack.
or can they ??

I have had titanium heaters develop bubbles and although I don't think that can crack, they can fail. If you see an anomaly... replace it.

Back