Help designing my RO/DI system

ReeferAl

Premium Member
I have an RO/DI system that I've added to and subtracted from over the years. I have a bunch of components to put together.

Here's what I want the system to supply:

1. DI to tank top-off.
2. DI to storage tanK.
3. RO to storage tank and drinking water.

These are the components I have to work with:

4 canisters
pre-filter
carbon filter
2 DI resin canisters
2 Membrane canisters (75 gpd membranes)
flow restrictor
auto-shutoff
pressure booster pump
permeate pump
pressure-sensing automatic flush valve
2-stage tds monitor

Any experts out there willing to give me a layout plan?
Much of it is pretty straight forward. I'd like to be able to use the permeate or booster pumps- at least 1 and both if it makes sense to do so. I also want to make use of the flush valve but don't know how/where to connect it.
Thanks for any advice.

Allen

1) What is your source water TDS?
2) What is your water pressure?
3) City or well water?
4) Chlorine or chloramines?

I'll probably use the membranes is series to lessen wastewater. I'm on a well so water usage isn't such and issue but all water needs to be softened and I want to decrease how much salt I need to feed the softener.

This is a new house with a new well. No chlorine or chloramine. I don't know tds or pressure. Pressure should be pretty good since the well pump is new. Tds in the area is generally 200 or so.

Allen

I should clarify- we haven't move into the house yet. It should be completed within the next few weeks.

I'll probably use the membranes is series to lessen wastewater.

That's parallel.

Series membranes is the 'good' from the first membrane gets filtered by the second membrane to make more pure water. It's what well-owners like me have to do.

Parallel membrane is the 'bad' from the first membrane gets filtered by the second membrane to increase output and reduce wastewater.

That's parallel.

Series membranes is the 'good' from the first membrane gets filtered by the second membrane to make more pure water. It's what well-owners like me have to do.

Parallel membrane is the 'bad' from the first membrane gets filtered by the second membrane to increase output and reduce wastewater.

Not sure this is correct.
Series - The second membrane uses the waste from the first, thus reducing the waste.

Parallel - This will increase output and also increase waste.

https://youtu.be/BKu_e7MVLX0

Not sure this is correct.
Series - The second membrane uses the waste from the first, thus reducing the waste.

Parallel - This will increase output and also increase waste.

https://youtu.be/BKu_e7MVLX0

I guess both of what we described are technically 'in series'; however, if you think of it from a filtration perspective, Series would mean filtering the water twice, parallel would be mean once.

I guess both of what we described are technically 'in series'; however, if you think of it from a filtration perspective, Series would mean filtering the water twice, parallel would be mean once.

Yes but no. You stated you filter the "good" water twice, but in a series set up you feed the "bad" waste water from the first membrane to the second membrane to further filter it and get more product and less waste.

In a parallel system the output from the pre-filters gets split. Half goes to one membrane and half to the other. The waste from both goes down the drain. It gives the most RO output but does nothing to save water.

So, any suggestions on how to put my system together?

Allen

Back