Help ID this creature

DrChaos619

Hey guys! after reading the forums forever, I finally decided to join up.

Anyways, I have a strange growth on one of my pieces of live rock. It must be the superman of marine life considering all its been through.

I dont have a picture so I will describe it as well as I can.

Its roughly the size of your thumb from the mid-knuckle to the tip. Imagine a white cotton ball with a tube-like opening atop the cotton ball. The tube widens as it reaches the top much like a trumpet. Towards the base of this creature where it is connected to the rock, it has what looks to be white translucent 'fingers' (for lack of a better term) that are begining to branch off into smaller fingers. Roughly a few inches below it, another one is growing. They seem to be growing at a slow rate. Every now and again it pulsates once or twice, like a beating heart.

Im just curious. I'm not particularly concerned about it's development, but I would like to know what it is so I may guage its benefits or lack thereof in keeping it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to RC

Without a picture it's hard to give you an ID.

If you want to do some research for yourself, take a look at pictures of sponges or tunicates. From your description, I think you might have one of them.

Best of luck,

Roy

Back