Help me choose an external pump for my 75g

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigben

Premium Member
Hi,

The huge LG that came with the tank is badly corroded. After reading through many past threads, I think I've decided to go with one of the new titanium Dolphin SilentSea Series pumps for my 75RR. Should I go with the ST800 (700gph) or the ST1200 (1080gph)? Or, should I scrap this idea and go with something else?

Are these pumps pressure rated? I would like the option of installing a flow control valve.

Thanks,
Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

My choice is always Iwaki with Japanise motors. They are not cheap but they work great. :) We have an Iwaki RLT100, a Little Giant 4MDSCQ and a MAK 5. If the LG or MAK ever die they will be replaced with Iwaki pumps.

Hey Ben,
I would go with a Dolphin SilentSea T1200 if you like quiet. But I don't think they are available yet. It probably will add 1-2deg to your tank though. But with 2 400w MH on your tank why should you worry about a couple of degrees, right ;).
HTH

------------------
My homepage http://www.geocities.com/twinspot99

Iwaki is quality and dependable. I use to like dolphin but won't buy that brand anymore simply cuz they wouldn't back there warrenty or it was a pain to get $$ from them when they sold a fault pump SS series. They didn't mention they couldn't be used for reefs nor did they know until they failed and alot of ppl had a hard time getting replacements. But is you do get one make sure it is sst and they are pressure rated good pump poor service.
Snailman of all 3 which is quieter or is it noticable?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ironreef:
Snailman of all 3 which is quieter or is it noticable?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a DB meter at work and I will try and remember to bring it home and I will post the readings. :)

ahh good I hope the meter doesn't lie. I belive Iwaski to be the better pump and the other 2 to be fairly good but just curious. I can't tell the diif bettween a Mak4 and Iwaki40, just wondering how bigger pumps come into play.For my next big tank. May just go with a pool pump.

Iwaki's are great pumps, they run cool and quiet as long as you get the japanese made pumps. I have 2 apanese and 1 US made Iwaki and the US pump is alot more loud and tends to run a little hotter.

How do the Japanese Iwaki's handle back pressure?

Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

All right here goes. MAK 5 1500GPH 360 watts 67DB :( Little Giant 4MDSCQ 810GPH 150 watts 63DB and the winner is Iwaki RLT100 2100GPH 380 watts 61DB :) The Iwake makes less noise and pumps more water per watt. The only downside is they are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Ben... They are serious pressure pumps. Ours has 12 feet of head and still put out a fire hose stream. :) If you get a chance look at the impeller in one and you will see why.

Well, I think I will go with the Iwaki, then. What size do you recommend for a 75RR? Also, I'm a little confused about the different Japanese types: RLT (for pressure applications) or RLXT pumps (for circulation and wet/dry return). What do you think is best?

Thanks for the extra info Snailman!!
Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

That is pretty close isn't it? My hard of hearing ears can't tell ,but the Mak5 pushed almost double the LG which would make it have the edge and the Iwaki even pushes more than the Mak5 but the qaulity of iwaki even makes it much better. Just wondering do you or have you ever tested the diff. bettewn Jap and US Iwaki? I mean since you have that meter now when someone ask there definite proff and not just prefferance??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back