Help me decide on radion lighting

Yes, ecotech is American. They are in PA.

That's what I thought. So why are people comparing them to cheap Chinese stuff?

And I by compare I'm referring to the fact that its cheaper for the Chinese company to build than an American one.

Last edited:
I would definitely go for the pro, the extra colors, extra LEDs and extra wattage is with out a doubt worth the upgrade from gen 2 to pro!!!

I have the mitras currently and the pro is the best comparison to the mitras so far!

I went with the gen 2 about 6 weeks ago and had to reduce the output to 75% and then am using the automatic acclimation feature to bring up the light to that level. I selected 6 weeks to ramp

I have the light suspended 8-9" over the water, it's a 24x24x16 glass cages cube. Par readings with a calibrated apogee meter were 150 in the sand at 75%

The pro is really for deeper tanks. I hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Chris

I am in the same boat with the same tank. I ordered the G2 and its still brand new in the sealed box. I am on the fence with returning it for the pro. This will be a frag tank and am thinking that the full spectrum from the pro can provide better results for the frags. In regards to the pro being to powerful, I am thinking that we can just set the intensity lower and should be good to go. That's one of the benefits of LED's. In regards to the extra $250 being worth it. I have been reading and reading and it seems that reefers are saying yes. That the GHL Mitras and the Radion pros are top of the line and provide the best results.

I will be tagging along on your thread to see if anyone else chime in.

Unless you plan on using it over another tank that is more than 24" deep I couldn't justify the additional $250. The gen 2 will likely need to be reduced power for a 12" deep tank. The excellent feature is you can ramp the power up automatically over several weeks and monitor the corals so they don't get stressed so ultimately you could go full power.

I am in the same boat with the same tank. I ordered the G2 and its still brand new in the sealed box. I am on the fence with returning it for the pro. This will be a frag tank and am thinking that the full spectrum from the pro can provide better results for the frags. In regards to the pro being to powerful, I am thinking that we can just set the intensity lower and should be good to go. That’s one of the benefits of LED's. In regards to the extra $250 being worth it. I have been reading and reading and it seems that reefers are saying yes. That the GHL Mitras and the Radion pros are top of the line and provide the best results.

I will be tagging along on your thread to see if anyone else chime in.

I just wanted to share an update on my last post. I went ahead and ordered the pro. I have started the RMA for the G2. I will be useing it on my 24x24x12 Deep Blue frag tank. I bought into the whole full spectrum portion of the upgrade. I will post some photos soon. The pro should be at my door by thursday.

Unless you plan on using it over another tank that is more than 24" deep I couldn't justify the additional $250. The gen 2 will likely need to be reduced power for a 12" deep tank. The excellent feature is you can ramp the power up automatically over several weeks and monitor the corals so they don't get stressed so ultimately you could go full power.

Its not only about the better PAR at deeper water levels, the colors of the Pro make it worth the money as well.

Back