Help me decide which kessil LED please!

Danzig

So im just getting back into hobby after 8 years and i finally think i found a good light. Im setting up a 45g cube, 24x20x20. Will be doing mixed reef with some sps, was originally thinking t5, but after looking at the fixture i wanted (ati 6 bulb) and then considering bulb costs, cost to operate and bulb changes yearly, it would actually just be cheaper to buy an LED. Then i came across the kessil, i think after researching a bit the A360 is the best option for me. However i am confused on whether i should choose the W-E or the X model. Its my understanding that the W-E will have a wider throw throughout tank. I also like the fact that it is cheaper, i forget how much but it was at least $100. One thing i am concerned with in general with the A360 is light spill or bleed, i really dont want the room to be getting direct light just the tank, because it will be in a living room. Hoping an experienced kessil owner will help out a newbie! Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Get an A360X with the wifi dongle. Latest and greatest design. More output per watt. Smaller form factor. More bells and whistles. It will cost you a couple hundred more. But worth it in the long run. I run two a360s with an 360x and the spectral controller. If and when the old 360s die, I'll get two more Xs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Get an A360X with the wifi dongle. Latest and greatest design. More output per watt. Smaller form factor. More bells and whistles. It will cost you a couple hundred more. But worth it in the long run. I run two a360s with an 360x and the spectral controller. If and when the old 360s die, I'll get two more Xs.

Was hoping more for an argument of why your prefer a360x over a360we etc

Uh...I think I just did[emoji848][emoji16]

Everything is better with the X, expect price. But only you can decide what you can afford and want to spend.

In the end, any kessil A360 series will grow coral in your cube. Height above the aquarium will determine light spillage. I'd go with the "w" due to your 24" tank. Get the narrow beam reflector if needed (x series)

Uh...I think I just did[emoji848][emoji16]

Everything is better with the X, expect price. But only you can decide what you can afford and want to spend.

In the end, any kessil A360 series will grow coral in your cube. Height above the aquarium will determine light spillage. I'd go with the "w" due to your 24" tank. Get the narrow beam reflector if needed (x series)

So if im not mistake, the X models are better for standard tanks that are 12-16" wide, as opposed to square tanks? Also i appreciate you taking the time to post here and help me. I tried watching youtube reviews and other sources and there is surprisingly little info on this wide angle

No worries,

The a360x is good up to 24x24. They do make the narrow angle reflector if you want a more concentrated beam of light. But depends on how you plan to stock the tank. Bulk reef supply has some good videos on them. My tank is 72x30x24. But it's a low demand mostly fish and softies tank, so I get away with three kessils. An a360x in the middle and two a360w flanking the X.

If you decide to go a360we, there looks to be a good deal in the sale section. Light, controller and mounting arm

Last edited:
I'm currently considering a light upgrade and looking hard at Kessil. BRS has several videos on the 360X, from when they were released to much more current with measured results and recommendations for how many and settings. According to their info, one should be sufficient for that size tank, however they it might be underpowered for SPS. Looking at their results, I think a few hardier SPS corals placed carefully may work. For more than that, the new 9X might be a better choice (way more $$ though).
I used 2 160's on a 30 gal mixed a while back with great results, but I didn't care for so many wires and power supplies. The newer X controller gets power from the light fixture, and the dongle cleans things up even more. The 9X has wifi built in. I need my lights closer to the water (hood over my tank), and according to BRS the 360X is better for that.
I'm looking at Radion G5 as well, but the Kessil seems more foolproof as far as spectrum goes. The X15 is similar in cost depending on how it's mounted. Great BRS videos on those as well.
I'd love to find a LFS with both on display to compare side by side how they look.

Usually when people want to use a Led, they almost always do two, so that is what I think two 160 would work. I have two AI Prime HD's on a 25 gallon Lagoon the tank is 24" x20 x 12" I have a Kessil 160 over a 7 gallon cube I have it at the lowest settings. It has a wide spread. I have two 360 X over a 120 problem is my cross braces are in the worst spot possible for that tank, I will use them on my future (,in the garage) 72"x30"x24" tank.

Back