help me help me help me please!!!!

manutd16

ok so my fiance calls me at work saying nemo (she named it our percula) was missing. Well my percula was doing fine. she said all the fish were fine an I looked an couldnt find nemo. well 5 hours till now I just got home and I found my Falco hawkfish who was in fine health dead near our Carpet anemone. did the carpet do that? or as my friend stated to me just after I told him about purchasing my electric flame scallop it destroyed most of his fish and he lost half his live stock when it died.... mine looks in terific health.... please help please respond by message here, or my aim Localspride13 please Im in so much need I just purchased a cleaner shrimp, a cbs and a new percula

So the hawkfish is dead? The Clownfish is missing? Is the Anemone in good shape? The Flame scallop in good shape? What are ALL of your water parameters?

Bean

water parameters are perfect, the anemone is healthy as can be the scallop is wide open with its electric current thing goin an its movin around its open area, found the clownfish the snails were all over the dead guy. and yes the hawkfish was dead right beside the anemone

So the clownfish is healty, and the only problem is the hawkfish?

What are the water parameters (perfect can mean a lot of things).

How long have you had the hawkfish?
How long has the tank been setup?
Have you had any other problems?
Why size and type of system and filters are you running?
What do you dose (if anything)?

The more information you provide the more we may be able to help. If the hawk is the only problem it could be just that, an isolated problem with the fish itself.

hawk fish is about 8 months old well that Ive had him, he was a stong fish when I was in england an no one really cared for my tank him an a damsel were the sole survivors. now that Im home an with the tank constantly. its a 38 gallon reef tank. i have a fluval 304, a marine land bio wheel for 50 gallon, 2 skimmers Ive been using purple up an that put my snails in to major mover mode. my tang, corals, feather dusters, and hermits and emeralds are all doing great , the clownfish I found dead. so thats the hawkfish and the clown dead

In such a small tank, the water paramters can fluctuate quickly. The death of one of the fish may have caused an amonia or nitrite spike, but I am note sure of hte time frame.

Are your trites, trates and amonia all at 0?

What is your alk and calcium?

Are there any other fish still in the tank (other than the damsel?)

ALso, at this point a different brand of test kits would be a good idea in case one of them is lying or out of date. I prefer the Salifert kits. How long have you been back and how long has it been since the tank was "neglected"

Bean
Bean

I see from some of your other posts that you bought a bunch of fish last week and you had an emergency post about fish being covered in ich this past week. Is this all from the same tank?

--Ray

From reading your post about the ich, it looks like you added 5 fish this week. That is a lot to add to that small of a tank at once, not to mention it sounds like you already had at least 3 fish in there. 8 fish is too much for a 38g tank. Are you sure you ammonia is not spiking??

--Ray

Ive been back over 2 months, at first my salinity was 1.042 and the nitrate level was up. well for the past 2 weeks Ive gotten readings of 0 am, ni and na. my alk is at a normal level on my tester. around 8dKH. my cal is around 430mg/L

Last week at elmers I purchased a yellow tang, 2 perculas, and a royal gramma. with what I just added from my QT tank in my 38 gallon I have 5 fish.

my 55 gallon is doing wonderful I planned on moving some of the corals an fish but with this happening I dunno.

the main reson myself an my family neglected to care before was a major out break of cyano bacteria but there hasnt been a sign of that since december

I got rid of the damsel. so there were only 2 fish when I added 3 more. the other fish I moved to my QT and one to my 55. no Im getting 0 readying on 2 different test for ammonia.

nope not at all. now my problem is my inverts..... my hermit crabs , emerald crab, and sally light foot crab are all doing fine but the cleaner I just purchased died in 12 hours, and last week a CBS I put in there died. Im so lost Ive read every book I could test the water constandly. my corals an anemone are doing wonderful! ahhh this hobby is becoming a headache!

Yeah, it is very stressfull when things like that happen.

When you put your fish you bought from Elmers into the tank, did you transfer water from the bag to the tank?

Inverts don't respond well to high nitrates or copper. Some LFS put a little of copper in their water to stop new fish from getting ich. I am not sure if Elmers does this or not.

What test kits are you using?

--Ray

Im using the RED SEA test kit, and the salt water master liquid test kit by aquarium pharmaceuticals the other doesnt have a name I can see right now lol.

I use the cut open the bag, take a cup full of water from my tank and put it in the bag, wait bout 10 minuts drain off some water an add more from my tank I do that about 3 times an drain off most the water I can before putting the fish in. but I think my finace could of lied to me an just dumped the water from elmers in the tank when I was in the other room workin on the 55.

I use the Aq Pharm kits as well as the Salifert.

Are you waiting the full 5 minutes to look at your results?

It really sound like there is an ammonia problems or a cycle going on.

--Ray

yea I waited, at first I thought it was, cuz it looked green but its just the cloudy pale yellow color

I wish it was so I could be like simple enough instead of blind an studip to an unknown killer

do u think the hawkfish could of died from being stung by the anemone?

How long had they been in the tank together? I don't know how powerful their sting is. I thought they would stick to it if stung and then the anenome would eat it. I don't know much about anenomes.

--Ray

I've heard of Carpet's killing fish, but in every instance I've read about this happening, the fish just disappear. No bodies to be found. Also anemones tend to be more sensitive than fish to bad water params. I'd think the anemone would die first if the water quality had degenerated enough to kill the fish. How are the fish in the Q tank and 55G doing?

my pygmy angel was a lil rough but now its doing great, the cleaner shrimp is doing fine in the QT also. the fish in the 55 are just hungry every time I walk by they are up at the top waiting but its my 38 gallon thats drives me insane mainly because its by my computer and it was doing so well last week. well the hawk fish was right under neith the carpet like it would of fallen off its tenticals. but my tangs, stripped dotty back and clown are doing great.... Im so amazed, Im more concerend why the cbs an the cleaner died but the sally lightfoot and the emerald are doing great.......yea if the water was bad i doubtmy anemone would have attached its self to the bottom corner an be as blossomed out like it is.

Back