Help me stock my tank upgrade?

SaltLifeCam

Recently upgraded my nano tanks to this 65gal peninsula. I have 2 clowns, a sixline, and a cleaner shrimp. Looking for some tankmates- preferably suited to my tank (I'll post pics) I have lots of zoas, bubble tip nems, a few leather corals, duncans etc.

What I'm interested in myself: firefish, royal gramma, shrimp+goby duo, Hawkfish, cardinals; a tang or angel if there's a chance.
I also once had a court-jester goby that I'd love to get again.
What do you love or think would enjoy my setup?

Thank you in advance. tankscape is still somewhat a work in progress until the nems settle and stop harassing my leathers ;) especially the flat rock in the front corner that I transferred them on

Attachments

• 20220523_215839.jpg
    20220523_215839.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • VideoCapture_20220527-172404.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220527-172404.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 13
Like the firefish but is timid, love the gramma, good fit.
Yellow tang for sure, best rock cleaner ever made.
The hawkfish, or at least the long nose, can take out a shrimp and likes to flip snails, but I do keep one.
A trio of simple Anthais, the orange ones with purple strip through the eyes.
A Bangaii card.
In six months, a mandarin.
Have fun, looks good.

What if I had 2 or 3 firefish?
Yellow tang, ok in a 65?
I can pass on the hawkfish but I had one in the past that was super cool to watch perch on all the rocks. I'll keep it in mind for the future I guess.
I like the anthias! And i always loved mandarins, but no sump/fuge so that'll be down the road.

Thanks for the feedback and having lots of fun. đź‘Ť I went dull with the same Nanos for so long, it's so nice to start fresh again essentially

Yellow tang will be fine for a while…especially the captive bred babies from Biota. Eventually, it may outgrow.

Hawk fish will likely eat your shrimp, though I see you already posted you were gonna pass

If you like mandarins, again Biota has captive bred ones said to eat prepared foods

I see nothing wrong with the court jesters, may consider a small school of them, last I knew they can live in groups

What if I had 2 or 3 firefish?
Yellow tang, ok in a 65?
I can pass on the hawkfish but I had one in the past that was super cool to watch perch on all the rocks. I'll keep it in mind for the future I guess.
I like the anthias! And i always loved mandarins, but no sump/fuge so that'll be down the road.

Thanks for the feedback and having lots of fun. đź‘Ť I went dull with the same Nanos for so long, it's so nice to start fresh again essentially
Yellow tang in a 65g……sure…..mines now 5 years old and say 3-4”…..fine in 65g.
A group of firefish….sure…….they do well in groups…….
This is 65g….BT as well….put in at same time…..he’s about 6”…..but don’t recommend this one unless your going to upgrade to say 180g……but the yellow…..for sure……best rock cleaning fish ever!

F9DC49EF-A6C1-4119-9683-ADCDEE8195E4.jpeg

Yellow tang in a 65g……sure…..mines now 5 years old and say 3-4”…..fine in 65g.
A group of firefish….sure…….they do well in groups…….
This is 65g….BT as well….put in at same time…..he’s about 6”…..but don’t recommend this one unless your going to upgrade to say 180g……but the yellow…..for sure……best rock cleaning fish ever!
Beautiful tank! I'll try to get my hands on a yellow tang. Half of the rock is established from the nanos and could use a little cleaning. Plus everyone loves tangs.

Yellow tang will be fine for a while…especially the captive bred babies from Biota. Eventually, it may outgrow.

Hawk fish will likely eat your shrimp, though I see you already posted you were gonna pass

If you like mandarins, again Biota has captive bred ones said to eat prepared foods

I see nothing wrong with the court jesters, may consider a small school of them, last I knew they can live in groups
I think I'm set on the yellow tang, and I see there are some in stock at biota. Awesome!
I actually didn't know the jesters did well in groups, I'm seeing they do for the most part. Mine was so interesting and always sifted through the sand, would be great to have maybe a trio of them.
Thanks for the help!

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I went with a yellow tang and a royal gramma (for now)
I never thought the tang would bond so well with my clowns but they haven't left each other's sides other then to eat and scavenge. The royal gramma is a little shy with other people then myself, but has claimed the center rock and created a very nice home with entrances and exits in every crevice. Beautiful.

There's still so much open space in the front/right of the tank so I'm not quite done stocking yet ;)
Still thinking about a trio of jester/rainfords gobies, trio of cardinals and still open to suggestions but they need to like flow and open water (duh)

Pods are starting to look more lively on bottom of glass and whatnot so definitely some goby/blennys down the road. Just too much awesome space I created and my current stock likes to sit in their zones 🙄

I really love how it's going so far. Not rushing into anything and letting them settle little by little helps a lot.

Thanks to anyone following/stopping by and sorry for crappy pics 🙂

Attachments

• 20220610_152448.jpg
    20220610_152448.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • SmartSelect_20220610-153249_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220610-153249_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
They are both such beautiful fish. Goodluck!
Just 1 rainfords?
I got 3 but down to two. My neon dottyback (who has never shown any aggression) killed one within 5 minutes of them being in my main display. They are currently in my wife’s 32

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I went with a yellow tang and a royal gramma (for now)
I never thought the tang would bond so well with my clowns but they haven't left each other's sides other then to eat and scavenge. The royal gramma is a little shy with other people then myself, but has claimed the center rock and created a very nice home with entrances and exits in every crevice. Beautiful.

There's still so much open space in the front/right of the tank so I'm not quite done stocking yet ;)
Still thinking about a trio of jester/rainfords gobies, trio of cardinals and still open to suggestions but they need to like flow and open water (duh)

Pods are starting to look more lively on bottom of glass and whatnot so definitely some goby/blennys down the road. Just too much awesome space I created and my current stock likes to sit in their zones 🙄

I really love how it's going so far. Not rushing into anything and letting them settle little by little helps a lot.

Thanks to anyone following/stopping by and sorry for crappy pics 🙂
What’s good about the YT and Royal G in addition to them cohabiting usually well is that you have not limited yourself much in future additions. I find yellows t very shy in terms of behavior in the tang group.
The yellow really doesn’t grow the same in terms of size and maintains a moderate temperament unlike Blue tangs and Desjardins, so they can be a permanent members of the community.
I was actually shocked at their algae picking abilities, all day non-stop picking amongst the rock work.
Good luck, looks great!

What’s good about the YT and Royal G in addition to them cohabiting usually well is that you have not limited yourself much in future additions. I find yellows t very shy in terms of behavior in the tang group.
The yellow really doesn’t grow the same in terms of size and maintains a moderate temperament unlike Blue tangs and Desjardins, so they can be a permanent members of the community.
I was actually shocked at their algae picking abilities, all day non-stop picking amongst the rock work.
Good luck, looks great!
So far it seems like there's only a couple fish in the tank, with how calm they are and to thenselves. The clowns have always huddled together near the back black walls, I did not expect the tang to nestle up with them but the 3 are inseparable. I swear I see the tang pick the rocks and "feed" or drift the algae to the clowns, and they gulp it right up. The male clown and YT are the real duo, and momma clown just keeps them in check. It's a very cool bond. The gramma adds a beautiful contrast in color, and is nestled up next door and comes out to join them when I feed. Otherwise gramma just scoots around underneath the rocks around the "anemone islands" we have going on.

So far not a single problem. Looking forward to finding the next perfect neighbor lol. Thanks for the input :)

I got 3 but down to two. My neon dottyback (who has never shown any aggression) killed one within 5 minutes of them being in my main display. They are currently in my wife’s 32
I'm thinking of 2 or 4 as I believe they prefer to pair rather than group up. Sorry to hear that about yours, good luck! They are so amusing to me.

Added 3 pj cardinals.
Finally got everyone in one photo (minus cleaner shrimp)
The cardinals definitely have given all the fish a safer feeling and have all been much more active, out and about, drifting along.
Yellow tang is an incredible cleaner as was mentioned.
I'd recommend this friendly stock to anyone

Thanks for following along đź’™

Attachments

• 20220706_152519.jpg
    20220706_152519.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Back