Help!! My coral is unhappy

erisedstraeh

Okay, so over the past week my coral have all been slowing closing up and I can't figure out why. I had my 46g tank crash about a week ago and lost6 fish (I think it was due to an ammonia spike from a diatom bloom but don't know for sure because all of my perameters were perfect)

Now in my 13g the coral are not happy. Coral started closing up a little over a week ago.

Tanks specs:
Fluval Evo 13g
Filtration includes carbon and sponge, and bio rings nothing fancy. Carbon last changed 2 weeks ago.
Lighting is what is included with tank which states is appropriate for coral, on for approximately 10hrs per day

2 Black clownfish (acting normal)
About 8 snails (trochus and asters)
3 hermits

Temp 78
Ph 8.4
Phos 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
dKh 9
Calcium 480
Magnesium 1050 (little low)

I have an RODI unit and make my water. TDS from tap water is around 160 and after filtration is usually around 5. I changed all of my filters and RO membrane about 1 month ago.

I do 10-15% water changes weekly. I changed the water Sunday like I usually do. Monday coral still the same no change. Tuesday looked worse and I noticed some brown stringy algae in the tank so did another 10% water change in case the algae was the problem. Today the coral is even worse! Help! I don't know what to do.

I'm new to coral, got my first about 3 months ago and everything has been going well until now. I feed ReefRhodes and either coral frenzy pellets or some mysis 1-2x per week

Trying to upload pics, not working so I will try to get them up

here are the pictures of some of the coral

Attachments

• IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5439.jpg
    IMG_5439.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5440.jpg
    IMG_5440.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5451.jpg
    IMG_5451.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
check your rodi water and your salt before doing a big water change.
If your 46g crashed and now your 13g is looking bad, assuming you use the same water for their water changes, maybe your rodi unit is not working or is letting some bad stuff through..

Changing bad water for even worse water will kill ur stuff even faster.

If your parameters are as clean as you are showing, my thoughts are with the above. Something may be getting through your RODI, or perhaps check all the equipment in the tank; Anything metal showing? Corroded magnets, maybe?

I have an RODI unit and make my water. TDS from tap water is around 160 and after filtration is usually around 5. I changed all of my filters and RO membrane about 1 month ago.

So the water coming out of your RO/DI unit is measuring 5 TDS?

How should I check if the RODI is working appropriately? I checked the whole unit last nite, everything is seated appropriately and filters look fine. Should I just change all the filters again just to make sure?

TDS should be 0 coming out, not 5. Mag is well below what it should be as well. Fix both those issues first.

Your lighting has changed and this corals do not like.
Turn them way down in intensity and bring them up slowly over two weeks.
You've changed tanks, this usually causes them to contract and protect themselves

Where did OP say they changed lights/tanks?

I jumped to the conclusion that he save the corals in the 46 and put them in the 13...guess that's my error....

You don't mention how long the tank has been established. I'm also not sure how you are contributing the ammonia spike to a diatom bloom. I've never heard that correlation...the bloom is indicative of silicates in your make up water. You also mention that phosphate and nitrate are 0. Corals do need small amounts of phosphate and nitrate for health.

The sarcophyton looks a tad PO'd. The yellow ones are pretty touchy but I would just let it be and it should come around in a few days. The euphillias look fine. Maybe slightly retracted from the water changes or the toadstool's toxin. I cant tell what the 3rd pic is, looks like star polyps which are also kinda touchy and will retract for apparently no reason. Only thing I would suggest is change the carbon.

Back