Help, my Eibli isn't eating

DSMcL

Well, not eating isn't exactly true. He swims around and picks at my rocks all day long, but he doesn't seem to feed with the rest of the fish.

No one bullies him, he's the second largest fish in the tank next to the tang, and they get along fine.

He hasn't eaten since I put him in, but seems perfectly happy picking at the rocks.

Anything I can do to encourage him, or do to improve his 'rock based' diet?

Thanks for your help!

Formula one frozen,hikari mega marine angel, mussel, pemysis all frozen, omega one flakes and mini algae wafers just in case. Only thing I have that I haven't tried are frozen blood worms because I wonder if they hold much nutritional value

When you say mussels, do you mean the frozen cubes you can buy at the LFS or the live ones you get at the supermarket? If it's the former, you might want to try the latter a few times. Just crack one open and put it on the bottom for a few hours. If the fish shows no interest then go ahead and remove it. You might want to try some live brine shrimp or live black worms as well.

How long have you had the fish btw? If it's a fairly new addition, sometimes it just takes time for these fish to come around and start accepting prepared foods. GL.

I only tried the frozen mussels, I'll give th fresh ones a shot, thanks!

I've only had him about a week. He seems perfectly healthy, doesn't hide or anything either. I just worry what he will eat when he runs out of whatever he is picking off the rocks.

Picking is what they do in the wild. If your tank has lots of nice healthy rock with algae, sponge and pods then the angel is behaving naturally.

I have several different angels in my reef tank. Some of them coming up on 5 years that have never taken any prepared foods and spend all their time hunting.

Keep offering prepared foods, but as long as the fish looks healthy and stomach isn't pinched I wouldn't worry about him at all.

Dave B

Awesome, thanks O2, any idea if they are picky about the kind of pods? I can get live tiger pods nearby and supplement regularly just to be sure.

Fresh little neck or cherry stone clams should be a good bet. I typically freeze them and then thaw to make sure I don't introduce disease.

Got some live black worms tonight but no luck. Turns out he isn't an eibli , saw one at the Lfs tonight and mine doesn't have the stripes It has.

Can anyone please Id?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
thanks reefer! I'll have to read up on it. somewhat disappointing not getting the fish you paid for, but I like the guy none the less, just wish he would eat.

supplementing tiger pods hoping it helps some

Back