Help! Noisy Sump

layer3switchguy

Hey guys,

I just got done setting up my Life Reef sump and noticed that the water entering into the sump is rather loud. In fact, the hose actually shakes alot. The water (noise) seems to ebb and flow, and at times is much louder than others. Any ideas on how to quiet things down?

Thanks!
L3

One of two things is happening. Air is entering from your drain, or air is entering from the outlet of your drain into your sump.

If air is entering from your drain, you can fix that by breaking up the whirlpool with some form of block. A 90 degree fitting put in the drain is often enough.

If air is entering from below, you can give the air a better escape by lowering an air tube down the drain slowly until the noise stops. The air will escape through the air tube, and not through your drain.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8133376#post8133376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THEMANTISMAN
if the sump level ebbs and flows then maybe it has something to do with your overflow. What are you using for an overflow?

Hi,

My bad, it's not the level of water that ebbs and flows but the noise itself.

Thanks!

Hi folks,

So, turning the flow to the return pump down does seem to reduce the noise of the water flowing into the sump. It almost sounds like a quieter version of my dishwasher...

Any other ideas on how to reduce the noise factor? The pump is a Mag 9.5. Would a different return pump help?

Thanks,
L3

there are lot's of ways to resolve this very problem in threads here in the RC forums. Try this one...I had the same problem and I fixed it with this DIY that's made of PVC which you can get at any home center or plumbing supply store for a couple of bucks:

sumpsilencerPAINT.jpg

Back