Help... Scoly is dying

sawlty dog

Over the last two or three weeks (since I got it), my scoly has been slowly receding. I'm feeding reef roids, coral blend, and fuel once a week, and have been spot feeding mysis. It's been eating fine. Could it be the location in the tank? Or maybe something else?

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/sdalpizar/media/20140518_161845_zpsd25ca284.jpg.html

20140518_161845_zpsd25ca284.jpg.html

Last edited:
What type of lights are you using? Whats your parameters?
Try inspecting the underside and around it for any type of pest.
I've never had a scoly but when my ever I had a lps coral recede like that I would dip it in revive and that usually help.
Good luck.

I'm doing a big water change and will check the params in an hour or two. Everything else is happy and growing like crazy

my lights are AI Hydras about 7-8" above the water on a 60 cube. I have two MP 10s on 80% for flow, one at the bottom and one 2/3 of the way up. Tank is bare bottom and the scoly is at the bottom, front, and middle of the tank.

Parameters, and like others have said low light and low flow. If parameters are fine, move it ASAP.

my lights are AI Hydras about 7-8" above the water on a 60 cube. I have two MP 10s on 80% for flow, one at the bottom and one 2/3 of the way up. Tank is bare bottom and the scoly is at the bottom, front, and middle of the tank.

thats probably the issue in red turn that bottom one down or build something so the flow isn't getting it. along with too much light.

not the same piece but rather close in family. this guy was right across a mp40 and right under my lights. heres about 3 weeks of that.
IMG_7005_zpsa9b306ad.jpg

this is when i got him. gave him to a friend who stuck in under low light low flow and it popped right back up.
37A818A7-3E38-4283-A1B5-BDBA9E81AA13-1331-000000FA320F36AE_zpsb6be6b93.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I just gave him a huge meal, water change, and turned the flow down. Hopefully he will stop receding. Params are all around normal levels. I'll keep everyone posted!

Sorry for the late reply, wish I would have seen this sooner. I had an issue with my scoly receeding as well. It was my fault and I had switched light fixtures from p.c.'s to LED and they were non dimmable. All my corals got blasted by the light, some bleached, and some tissue receeded. All that happened even though the fixture was hung 13" over that nano tank when i had it. My scoly was one of the first corals that the tissue receeded. The moment I switched the lights back, everything started to bounce back. Im happy to report that my scoly is back to normal and has grown. Low lighting is a must for scolys and meat corals. Just sharing my experience, hope it helps.

Back