Help selecting controller

Snookster

I'm starting to look into getting a controller, but finding an updated comparison seems a bit elusive to me so far (that includes the newest brands). I'm looking for the community's input on their experiences and thoughts on their controllers and which direction I should consider looking. And I need to try to keep it cheap enough to talk the wife into it :), and by that, I mean probably under $300.

My immediate requirements are:
  • PH probe
  • Power bar - will be controlling no less than 3 sets of lights with diff on/off times
  • Ability to control dimming of Rapid LED dimmable drivers
  • Ability to make setting changes through app or browser
  • Heater/temp control

Apex for me. You might be asking a lot for $300 though. The jr's have their place of course but it sounds like you may need more.
I would say if you are willing to bump up to $400 for a used Apex you might be happier.

No issues with my Digital Aquatics...I have the Archon now....

I was thinking about changing my current RKL to this one, but I a few questions I wanted to run by someone who owns one. If you don't mind, could you answer some or all of these?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Can I use the current power bars on the RKL?
  • On my RKL I can only have 4 modules, can this handle more?
  • Does it use the same "phone" cables to connect the modules?
  • Is it easy to setup and install?
  • Last one, I promise. You control everything online or through an app?

Apex for me. You might be asking a lot for $300 though. The jr's have their place of course but it sounds like you may need more.
I would say if you are willing to bump up to $400 for a used Apex you might be happier.

$300 is just an arbitrary # - got to sell the wife.

I have an apex and love it. You can start basic and add on as you need. I have had 3 of them and never an issue!!

Seriously Apex. You won't regret it. You can add on as you go. You'll have as much fun playing with Fusion as you will with your tank.

I've looked at this, kinda unclear what it comes with though. What abilities did yours come with out of the box and how easy is it to set up (I'm a c# programmer)?

While the Reef Angel can be used by anyone, those with a bit of technical skill will have an easier time. If your a c# programmer it will be simple. Here is a link that shows all its capabilities and what it comes with out of the box.

http://www.reefangel.com/product_raplus.aspx

Additionally they have great customer service, if you cant figure something out, post a question on their forum and the owner will respond very quickly.

I would sit down if I was you and figure out what you might want to get crazy and do down the road. Will you want to monitor your light intensity, pump rpm, salinity? These all require expansion modules on the Apex but they are already available if you decide you want to do those things. Some don't but I do.
I would say the Archon would be my 2nd choice because the gui is pretty nice. I can't wait until neptune allows us to get rid of the ugly orange.
I do a lot with my apex if you want to stop by and check it out. It is very simple dos command but works like a charm. Mike is the only one I know with an Archon so maybe you can see his as well.

APEX!!

Like Rob said, you can add on as needed. Fusion is awesome and the WXM module for controlling Vortechs and Radions is out of this world!!

While the Reef Angel can be used by anyone, those with a bit of technical skill will have an easier time. If your a c# programmer it will be simple. Here is a link that shows all its capabilities and what it comes with out of the box.

http://www.reefangel.com/product_raplus.aspx

Additionally they have great customer service, if you cant figure something out, post a question on their forum and the owner will respond very quickly.
+1 on Reef Angel...it lets you program whatever you want, and I mean whatever.
The computer software also has wizard that will provide you with a base code, and you can adjust it as you need. The only thing missing from the base package is the WIFI attachment, which is a little expensive $109.

I can't find the answer on my own. Does the Reef Angel have a salinity monitor? I spoke with mike at our weekly fish geek meeting and he is monitoring salinity with the Archon and I am doing it with apex. Curious about the Reef Angel. Purotek is a very nice system too. Owner is really cool but as of a year ago would not do everything I wanted to do on my own.

I can't find the answer on my own. Does the Reef Angel have a salinity monitor? I spoke with mike at our weekly fish geek meeting and he is monitoring salinity with the Archon and I am doing it with apex. Curious about the Reef Angel. Purotek is a very nice system too. Owner is really cool but as of a year ago would not do everything I wanted to do on my own.

Thought I saw there's an add-on for that particular feature.

Yes, salinity, temp, ph and orp are the available probes.

I have had Reef Angel, Apex, RKE, and Archon. I truely like them all. I am a "nerd" and like to play with the features and learn the systems, so I really can't say I prefer any over the other. They all have their pluses and minuses. I can say, Archon was released too early but is finally there. Apex is strong and fully supported with a lot of great add on's. Reef Angel, sky's the limit based on your programing abilities. There are a few more, but basically they will all do what you intend on controlling. Find a deal and get it!

Back