Help - Silicone not curing

aquaman49504

I am making a sump with compartments for skimmer, baffles, prop, and fuge. I have made it out of plywood and lined with acrylic. I have leak tested the sump itself and all is ok. After I used solvent to glue the partitions in, I went over the seams with silicone to help fill in any voids due to warpage, as I have done other times. I used two tubes of silcone. The silicone from the second tube has not cured at all after 48 hours. I am not sure why, but I need to move on. Has anyone had this experience or knowledge of what I need to do. Obviously I need to remove the uncured silicone (which will be a messy ordeal) but I am unsure how to remove the slick residue or will the new silicone bond with the residue in place.

It is definatly bad, it was expired by a year and a half. I was not aware that it has an expiration date. Anyway, I am looking for a remedy for my problem, how to best get adhesion of new silicone. Do I need to clean up the existing silicone and prepare the surface in some way or will the new silicone adhere to the residue of the bad silicone?

should try to clean it.

it is a pain in the ***, but unfortunatly quite common. I get a bad tube about 20% of the time. gotten good about spotting it, old tubes are ussually lumpy IME.

clean it off, use a little rubbing alchohol maybe. since your just looking to fill holes, whatever left should cure eventually, wouldnt want it for holding a tank together, but just as a sealant, itll hold fine.

I go through a LOT of silicone in my job. I agree with "araze". Clean out the worst of it with paper towels and rubbing alcohol. Don't knock yourself out over it as you are not glueing a tank together. Put new silicone over the top of it.

Back