Help with Green Forest Identification

race58

Can someone help me with what this plant/coral is? I call it a "Green Forest"
It started growing among my fuzzy mushrooms and zoas a month or two ago.
At first I thought it had something to do with the green zoas. If you look close you can see some green zoas in the middle of it just above the orange ones.
It started small and stayed that way for awhile but now it's growing like a wildfire even more since this picture was taken 2 days ago.
Any thoughts on what it is?

Thanks
Ed
IMG_6951.jpg

That stuff will grow like a weed. I took over my tank and was a real pain pulling it out monthly.

It is a pest and as you can see it is quickly overtaking the Zoas and will starve them out. I'd remove the rock it is on if you can. Pluck it, scrape it at the roots and hit it w/ a 3% solution of peroxide and then rinse well w/ saltwater and replace in tank and monitor closely.

Merry Skerry

Looks like Caulerpa racemosa, or grape caulerpa as has been said. Very hard to remove once it's in your tank. How big is your tank? If it's big enough, get some tangs. They will decimate the caulerpa and keep your tank free of any regrowth. Otherwise, it will rapidly proliferate and start overshadowing and killing your coral.

Here' is my refugium. Your DT can look like tis if you don't control the caulerpa ASAP.
IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634-1.jpg

It is a pest and as you can see it is quickly overtaking the Zoas and will starve them out. I'd remove the rock it is on if you can. Pluck it, scrape it at the roots and hit it w/ a 3% solution of peroxide and then rinse well w/ saltwater and replace in tank and monitor closely.

Merry Skerry

Thanks I figured it wasn't good. Will the treatment hurt the zoas and mushrooms on the rock?

great for refugium, not great for DT

I have a small fuge set up in my "In Tank Media Basket" on my Nanocube.
I put chaeto in one of the chambers. Is it possible that it came from there?

As far as DT I'm afraid I've gone brain dead and can't remember what that is.

Thanks
Ed

DT = display tank. Could have come off the bunch of Chaeto but more than likely it was already rooted on the rock with the zoas and shrooms or you would probably see some Caulerpa in the media basket with the Chaeto as well.

Back