Help with I.D.

bucaru

Hey guys,

One of these was given to me as a pet. The other one was a lr hitch-hiker. Can you help me id these guys? Thanks.

Mantis_Green1.jpg

Mantis_Red.jpg

-steve

you might have to wait for dr. roy caldwell for a proper id and scientific name.
the first image looks very similar to my very first mantis.

Steve,

I'm a bit hesitant to identify animals from photos if I can't see key details, but that said, I can offer some help.

The second animal is easy. If it is from the Caribbean, It is Neogonodactylus curacaoensis. This species lives in coral cavities at depths from 5 to 40 m. The only other thing it could be given the blue dactyls on the raptorial appendages is Gonodactylus smithii from the Indo-Pacific. However, you can quickly tell the difference by looking at the meral spot on the inside of the raptorial appendage. If it has a purple spot, it is G. smithii, if the spot has a white center, it is N. curacaoensis. Both species reach a maximu size of around 3 inches and both are very easy to keep.

The first photo, if the animal is from the Caribbean, is probably of Neogonodactylus oerstedii, a common, large gonodactylid that is found from the intertidal down to 20 m or so. Again, the meral spot is key. If it is greyish purple to bright purple, it is N. oerstedii. Females are invariably covered with black spots, but males are not. The species is very color polymorphic and can be anything from green to cream with a lot of mottling. This species gets to around 3 inches and again, is robust.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Dr. Roy,

Thank you! Currently these two are sharing a 6 gal. Eclipse. I really did not want to set up another tank for a second mantis. I know this is probably much less than an ideal situation for these guys but I guess I'll observe and see how things progress.

FWIW, I have been feeding them PE brand Mysis shrimp that I feed my seahorses and my copper-banded butterfly in my reef.
They seem to enjoy it and it is 69% protein. The first one has grown fatter since I got him.

Thanks again.

-steve

Back