Help with lighting

Mrpeabody68

I have a 120 gal. tank with easier corals. Mushrooms, polups, torch coral, etc. I am running a Metal Halide 175w 14000k lighting system. Nothing is really growing to great...Should I be using more lighting especially if I try harder corals?? If so, what do you recommend to use with my current MH??

how many MHs are you running, should have 1 for every 2' then depending how deep the tank is, do you have any actinics running?, sometimes coral growth depends on the nutrents in the water.
for my 110 gal i'm running 2-54 watt t5s and 2-175 watt MHs .

If it's a standard 48'x24"x24" 120gallon then you may want to take a look at 2 250 watt halies if you plan to try higher light demaning corals.

If your happy with the types of corals your keeping now mabey look into a set of 150 watt DE HQIs they'll give you a little more light than the Single ended 175s you have now.

The tank is 60x18x24. Metal Halide is the length of the tank 60"..I'm using 2 175 watt halies and also has 2 60" actinic bulbs..Mushrooms are doing ok but not "thriving". All water levels are good..I just don't think I'm getting enough lighting..Do actinics help the coral community thrive??

Ok you have one of the odd length ones. You could keep one of the 175s centered and add a 250 over each end so you get a nice even disspersal of light. probably the route I'd go with a tank those demetions.

From my experience I would just use the actinics to simulate dawn/dusk and suppliment the color of the halides if the color is not to your likeing.

Back