Help with my dsb

Franske

Hi there,im new to the hobby now and is bussy setting up my dsb,I bought some aragonite from a lfs but the grain size is about 1.2mm in diameter,can anyone give advice on that,is there any special maintenace or problems I should be on the lookout in my dsb,would crushed coral work in a dsb with a grain size of 5 mm in diameter,here is also a photo of my sump so any advice on it would also be appreciated

im new as well but what i think hes trying to tell you isthat fish poop,left-over food ect. will collect in the large substrate.i see alot of people talk about setting up DSBs and they usually use the smallest size sand, called oolic sand.the smaller the sand particles the more surface area for bacteria to colonize.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12199636#post12199636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billford
im new as well but what i think hes trying to tell you isthat fish poop,left-over food ect. will collect in the large substrate.i see alot of people talk about setting up DSBs and they usually use the smallest size sand, called oolic sand.the smaller the sand particles the more surface area for bacteria to colonize.

excellent answer Billford--not only does it support bacteria but also the inverts and algae that function in it

here is an article on how sand beds function

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/rs/feature/index.php

deitritus is more or less fish poop, rotting food, general ickyness. For the most part with a DSB you want to maintain as small a grain size as possible. This allows you to put in a shallower bed and still gain the anoxic zones in the lower part that converts nitrates into nitrogen.

Back