Help with powerhead selection

92reefer

Recently setup a Waterbox Frag tank.

Tank is 4 feet long, 23.5 wide and 16 deep. I really hate cords in the tank and would like to only do 1 pump/powerhead if I can. Was looking at doing either an Icecap Gyre 2k or 4k mounted in the center of the tank on the overflow. That way it will blow across the width of the aquarium in the center before hitting the front glass. Hopefully the front glass will diverge the flow enough to cover the left and ride sides of the tank before returning back up the center mounted Gyre?

Anyone have any opinions/advice on my preferred placement will work for my expectations and if so which pump to go with (1 2k or 1 4k)?

You will find that just one power head of any sort will not provide the random complete coverage you'll need. A gyre on one end flowing the full length of the tank will probably be your best bet if you are stuck on using just one. One the back of the tank pointing forwards it will easily cause the water to come over the front at any setting high enough to provide even mediocre flow throughout the tank.

For my standard 120 DT (4x2x2) I use a pair of Gyre 250's on the back placed on either side of the center overflow. They max out at 70%. I also have a pair of Koralia 1500gph power heads placed in the back corners about 1/3 of the way down angled up and in towards the center and a pair of koralia 850gph placed on the sides near the bottom blowing behind the rocks to prevent dead spots there.

Yes, that's more cords than I'd like, but with the back glass painted black I just don't see them all that much.

I was really hoping for the single gyre approach and the spot in the center on the overflow seemed to be a perfect solution.... I'm bummed

I'm running a SICCE SDC 7.0 for return pump. I wonder if I can crank up the speed on the SICCE and do away with the powerhead in the tank altogether?

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter how high you crank up a single pump (within reason). You'll still end up with dead spots that can cause issues. Unless you have a huge drain capacity you'll also have lots of noise coming from the overflow and sump areas. You could always go with a few Vortex or other external motor style power heads but they can get a little pricey IMO.

I have three WAV pumps with one of them mounted on my back glass,
I had to dial it down really low to avoid a sandstorm in my tank. I'd suggest that if you're looking at only running flow pumps on your back glass then bare bottom is the best option.

Back