help with skimmer

illal

i plumbed my skimmer today and when i plugged it in to test for leaks it didnt actually pump any water thru the skimmer :/ i can hear the pump turn on but its not sucking any water .... im using a panworld ps 150 pump with a my reef creation MR2 protien skimmer, i plumbed it using 1" pvc where it sucks water in and 1.5" for where the water exits the skimmer and goes back to the sump... am i missing sumthing? heres a few pics of what ive done

You may need to prime the pump ie fill the new pipes with water and then switch on. I would also level off the skimmer. It won't work very effectively unless it is positioned straight.

I can't really tell by the picture but you should put a union fitting on the in and out of that pump so you can easily remove the pump if need be for maintenance.

it had a union but i only had half of it and was having a hard time finding the other half so i bought whats in the pic..... how exactly would i fill the new pipes with water?

btw it makes sense to me now to have gotten a new union but i already bought a new 300g tank and im gathering the equipment for it now so within a few months ill redo everything

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12847117#post12847117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illal
it had a union but i only had half of it and was having a hard time finding the other half so i bought whats in the pic..... how exactly would i fill the new pipes with water?

btw it makes sense to me now to have gotten a new union but i already bought a new 300g tank and im gathering the equipment for it now so within a few months ill redo everything

You can initially feed the pipes by pumping the water through with another powerhead or manually fill the skimmer by hand (or jug)

Yes, but the water must overflow into the pipe work so the pipes are full. If your joints won't allow that then you will have to take apart one or more of the joints and fill the pipes by hand.
Once the input to the pump is filled it will work.
I am assuming you tested the pump before you plumbed it in and know it is working properly.

Last edited:
Back