Help with strange brown film after mixing water

nathan1986

Okay so I've always noticed that my mixing pump would get some film on it after mixing a batch of salt water, never thought much of it. Recently I mixed up 20g in a clean brute can with my tunze pump (taken apart and cleaned after mixing each batch of water) but this time life got in the way and it was mixing for about 6 days. Finally get around to changing the water today, lift the lid off the brute can and the water has a brown tint to it, the top 4 inches of the inside of the can has brown film all over it similar to the neck of a skimmer. And my pump is completely covered in the brown stuff. I'm throwing the water away but has anyone had this happen before and does anyone know what causes it? I'm using red sea regular salt. Have been using it for 4 years now, never had this issue
a59cc4ccbac8ecb8e9f64153aab32c49.jpg
a1bd5e35330f57498bb62f538c98e0df.jpg
f741b474c60ccbdd5f21562101b39a02.jpg
4e5192b3f47d96149edf69fd90d7aa85.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No idea what this could be. Looks like your batch is tainted. Call Red Sea customer care. They will ask for the serial number on the batch and ship you a replacement supply at no charge.

I am curious to know if Red Sea is willing to tell you what it is.

No idea what this could be. Looks like your batch is tainted. Call Red Sea customer care. They will ask for the serial number on the batch and ship you a replacement supply at no charge.

I am curious to know if Red Sea is willing to tell you what it is.
I was thinking the same thing Bobby, but I also mix up 5g in a home Depot bucket for my gf's biocube and this hasn't happened. But I thought the same thing that you mentioned. Only variable between the 5g and 20g batches is the pump and the bucket, and this time the 20g got mixed for 6 days instead of my usual 24 hours. I will still call them tho and see what they suggest

No light. Just the lid for the brute. I mix it in the spare bedroom which also has no lights, only light in the room sneaks in thru closed blinds

I used to mix Instant Ocean in my bin and I would get similar sludge. I switched salt and no longer have any film. The sludge would cover the interior of my bin and the bump and I just knew that it couldn't be good.

I doubt that is algae.

I used to mix Instant Ocean in my bin and I would get similar sludge. I switched salt and no longer have any film. The sludge would cover the interior of my bin and the bump and I just knew that it couldn't be good.

I doubt that is algae.
Ya I dunno what it was. Either way I wasn't gonna risk it. I've had some build up from mixing salts before but never this brown stuff

I get this growing on my airline tubing in both of my mixing stations. I suspect it's some sort of bacteria or other organism that thrives on silicates.

Back