Need Help With this Bacteria

Tanksanyway

Hello,

I have a 300 gallon mixed reef that was a complete redo after about 12 years. It has now been about a year and I have been fighting what I originally thought was Cyano, but after a couple of Chemiclean treatments including a double dose not a bit of change.

The water quality is excellent and all parameters are as seen below. The water circulation and filtration are high flow. There is a UV, chiller, etc to keep everything constant. I recently added a CO2 scrubber since the PH was just below 8 and I was trying to get it up a bit which did help and the corals reacted well in just 2 months. I make my own RODI water with a top of the line 5 stage Spectrapure setup which always provides O TDS and I use Brightwell salt mix. Water changes are done regularly. I am at my wits end and need some advice, or something to check that I am not thinking of.

SG 1.026
PH 8+
Amo 0
NO2 0
NO3 3
P04 .2
Cal 425
Mag 1400
Alk 10

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Phoho 3.jpg
    Phoho 3.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 12
Hello,

I have a 300 gallon mixed reef that was a complete redo after about 12 years. It has now been about a year and I have been fighting what I originally thought was Cyano, but after a couple of Chemiclean treatments including a double dose not a bit of change.

The water quality is excellent and all parameters are as seen below. The water circulation and filtration are high flow. There is a UV, chiller, etc to keep everything constant. I recently added a CO2 scrubber since the PH was just below 8 and I was trying to get it up a bit which did help and the corals reacted well in just 2 months. I make my own RODI water with a top of the line 5 stage Spectrapure setup which always provides O TDS and I use Brightwell salt mix. Water changes are done regularly. I am at my wits end and need some advice, or something to check that I am not thinking of.

SG 1.026
PH 8+
Amo 0
NO2 0
NO3 3
P04 .2
Cal 425
Mag 1400
Alk 10

Thanks,

Steve
Sure looks like cyano. I've seen some people say Blue Life Cyano RX works when Chemiclean would not but I'm pretty sure these treatments are all erythromycin so not sure why it would be different. Do you have a microscope to confirm cyano and not dinos or diatoms for example?

I agree it looks like Cyano to me too. I recently had the worst battle with Cyano I’ve had in over 30 years reef keeping. Maybe my thread on it might offer some help????

It does look like Cyano, although it was always red from my past experience over the years. I don't have a microscope (although that never occurred to me) and I wouldn't know what I am looking for.. One of the LFS Owners said that sometimes Chemiclean works at first, but sometimes never again. Not may past experience either. I am willing to try a new med since we have tried everything we know of. Thanks for the input. Hoping some others weigh in too.

Steve

I agree it looks like Cyano to me too. I recently had the worst battle with Cyano I’ve had in over 30 years reef keeping. Maybe my thread on it might offer some help????

I will definitely check this out.

Thanks,

Steve

So this current outbreak is NOT red? Hard to tell from the heavy blue light in the pics. What color is this?

So this current outbreak is NOT red? Hard to tell from the heavy blue light in the pics. What color is this?
It is reddish, but if memory serves, in the past it was deep red, where now it looks brownish red. I know it is hard to tell in the blue light.

Back