Help!

yfredericks

I am completely new to this hobby. I inherited a 55 gal tank with saltwater equipment and chemicals. I dont know what most of the equipment is for, or how to go about setting it up. The tank currently has no water and i have been told that it has be dry for a couple of years. Can someone please help me.? I really want to get it set up, but I also dont want to screw it up. I have always wanted a saltwater tank and really want to do this correctly.

Welcome to ReefCentral!
First thing to do I guess will be to identify the equipment you have. Try and look for the brand names or even take some pics of what you've got. You can upload photos into your gallery and post them in threads. Once we figure out what you have then we can go from there.

equipment update

equipment update

ok, i am putting pictures up, but here is the labels i have been able to find.

1.Regent Aqua-tech 3ph...looks like some kind of miniature filter
2. AquaClear 500 filter
3. about 25 feet of hose with green connectors of some sort.
4. there are 2 long air stones that go acroos the intire width of the back
5 a long heater that most of the writing has rubbed off.
6. what appears to be crushed rock/coral?
7. 1 gallon of stress coat w/ aloe vera
8. 3.4 a box of Fluval peat granular, but i dont see the system that it goes into anywhere.

I am really beginning to wonder if they were trying to use stuff that was made for freshwater for a saltwater tank. Will I be able to use any of this stuff or do I need to start from scratch?

I have put photos in my gallery

Sounds to me like it was for Fresh.....though u can easily, though sometimes Expensively turn it into salt.... if you don't have much fish experience, i suggest Fresh..., probly African Cichlids would be your safest bet.

You have a Python Siphon which is the Tubes with the green things attached..

crushed coral is the gravel, used (sometimes*) in SW and FW tanks, maintains high pH in Fresh about 8.0, Salt around 8.2,

Check the forum pages for a local reef club - almost always is easier if you have someone local to help ya out. Good Luck!

Re: equipment update

Re: equipment update

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9243211#post9243211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yfredericks
ok, i am putting pictures up, but here is the labels i have been able to find.

1.Regent Aqua-tech 3ph...looks like some kind of miniature filter

That's a powerhead - a submersible pump that you can use for more flow.

2. AquaClear 500 filter
That filter has a pretty good reputation for freshwater. Some people turn AquaClear filters into refugiums for saltwater tanks. It could be handy for occasional mechanical filtration (with care! you don't want a nitrate factory), or to run carbon once in a while.

I am really beginning to wonder if they were trying to use stuff that was made for freshwater for a saltwater tank. Will I be able to use any of this stuff or do I need to start from scratch?

Yeah, it does look more like freshwater stuff. The heater is probably usable, if you trust it (since there's no writing on it, you don't really know how powerful it is, or if it's a relyable brand). The powerhead is also usable in salt, most likely, but you'll probably need more anyway (assuming you want to keep corals).

HTH

"P.S. You can sell a couple of those kids to buy good LR. "

weeks like this where all 3 of them have the flu....i am tempted

--

ok, i looks like i get to start from scratch. I have the tank and stand. I know that i need to get a hood for it and the correct lights. I will do that this weekend. What is the first thing(s) I should do to get this started? I have always dreamed of having a reef tank, and by golly i am going to. I am from an engineering background and need the 1.2.3 type list.

1. A hood is not necessary - open top is just fine.

2. Lights - if you want to keep a reef you're going to want good lights. I personally like Hihj Output T5's - make sure you get lights with individual reflectors. Many swear by Metal halide lights but in my opinion are just extremely expensive.

3. Protein Skimmer - something rated for about twice your tank volume - I like the Corallife Super Skimmer 125 myself.

4. Bucket of salt

5. Filtration, either sump or 2 HOB - I would recomend a sump under your tank. - which means you will need...

6. Overflow box to get the water down to your sump, and

7. Return pump to get the water back up to your tank

8. Heater or heaters to keep your temperature up to about 78-80 degrees

9. Sand or crushed coral for a substrate - my opinion go with sand as CC is a pain in the butt

That should be enough to get you started - in the mean time I would suggest getting a big cup of coffee and start reading everything you can on this site - too much information is never a bad thing

Good luck! and Welcome to a brand new addiction!!

Back