Help!

mike90

Just recently I am getting a huge outbreak of green algae in my tank and now it has crept up on my live rock. I moved my tank about a month and half ago due to selling our house. I kept half the 90 gallons and got half new water when I set it up in the new house. Currently there are no fish in the tank because we are moving again in two weeks. In the mean time I also upgraded to a 4 x 65w dual 10000K and dual actinic light. So I'm not sure if that's what is causing the outbreak or if it is the lack of fish. All that is in my tank is live rock and two anenomes. Any ideas how I can get rid of the algae? Are there any additives I can use? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't suggest any additives and green algae is normal. Moving on top of putting that new fixture over the tank is probably what caused the outbreak. Just manually remove it... it will eventually go away.

No you can brush it while it's in the tank... do you have any sort of mechanical filtration? That will help pick up whatever you release into the water column

Yeah it's not critical but some sort of filtration like polyester floss will help trap the algae that you scrub off the rocks.

i would get a bunch of blue leg hermit crabs, and if you dont have anything in your tank that needs light i would cut back on your light. if you have any old bulbs on your tank that will also cause an alge outbreak. also check your phosphate levels

Back