Help

oregonelly

Hi, I seem to be having trouble keeping anything alive but my clown fish. I get new fish and they die. My salinity is right, and all the other factors are where they should be. My anenome died within 4 days and the fish I put in with him is dying as I speak.

I did stir up the algae on the bottom, but why isn't my clown fish dying too?

Post specific numbers for all test results, as well as tank parameters (salinity, temp, lighting, flow, etc) please. Also, how long has tank been set up?

HELP

HELP

I know my salinity is 1.020 the rest of the tests are done by the aquarium store and they said everything is perfect. Every time I go they say everything is perfect. My tank has been set up for about 3 months or so.

I don't know if i acclimated them long enough before putting them in the tank? Fish was eating the first couple days and then died today 5 days later.

I stirred up the sand to try and get rid of the algae on the bottom, maybe that is what did it ? Will that algae ever go away ? its ugly.

Knowing the water test results would probably help reflect what the problem is with the algae also. I would suggest that you get your own test kits and get your own results. It is very hard to be able to say anything about your situation without knowing specifics.

Your salinity is a bit low if you plan on having a reef tank. Should be closer to 1.025. And like "shooter7" said, knowing the actual numbers on your water tests would help a lot. Your LFS's "perfect" might be a lot different then what others consider perfect.

Another thing that jumped out is that you stirred up your sand bed. The sand bed will hold a lot of bad things and keep it out of your water column.

It is very possible that you released high levels of ammonia, nitrite, or more likely high Nitrates in to your water column when you stirred the sand bed.

Just a guess not knowing anything else about the tank though.

Ore,

Please test your Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia. How long has this tank been up for? You mentioned you had an anemone... what kind of lighting are you using and how large of a tank. 1.020 is way to low for an anemone. Shoot for 1.024. Also, what is your filtration, do you have live rock? A sump? Run Carbon?

HELP

HELP

nitrates, nitrites and amonia are all fine.... have live rock lots of it... just tested the salinity it is 1.023 was wrong about that one... my lighting is an aqualife 260 watts it is not flourescent it is for a reef tank... had the wrong lighting a while back.

HELP

HELP

tank is 55 gallons , not sure what a sump is ? got a filter under the tank, penguin on the tank a protein skimmer and a power head pushing 330 gallons.

Back