Hermit crab question?

gws76

Premium Member
I just received my first live aquaria order today. Very happy.
One of the hermit crabs I received is missing a claw and one leg, the appendages are in the bag also. I'm assuming this will not effect the hermit, and grow back over time. Is this correct?

It will be as good as new soon......Don't want to steal the thread here but I do have a couple varieties of emerald looking crabs (one is red the other creamish with brown spots matching all over his body).... One of them all of a sudden lost a claw (maybe fought with the other bigger one don't know) Could this be typical behavior of those crabs just before they lose their shells before shedding???? By the way...your hermits will lose their shells GWS about 1 a month.....

Thanks

That's what I thought just wanted to confirm.
It's that worried moment when you see your new tank mate and go "hey, wait a minute your missing your crab leg and claw"! LOL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12255884#post12255884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sentencedme
It will be as good as new soon......Don't want to steal the thread here but I do have a couple varieties of emerald looking crabs (one is red the other creamish with brown spots matching all over his body).... One of them all of a sudden lost a claw (maybe fought with the other bigger one don't know) Could this be typical behavior of those crabs just before they lose their shells before shedding???? By the way...your hermits will lose their shells GWS about 1 a month.....

Thanks

Not sure about the emerald crabs question, I've had my emerald for about 3 months now and never seen him do that.

As for the hermits, I know they'll lose their shells about once a month. I have several others, but they're smaller than these, and I've never noticed any parts missing. Anyway, thanks for your help.:strooper:

Back