He's back!

sven

still stupid!
Premium Member
According to my user profile, I last logged in in August of 2010! I guess it's time to join the fray again. I see some old familiar names and a fish load of new ones. I kept a beautiful reef tank for years in upstate New York, 300 gallon display tank with a 750 gallon sump filled with live rock. Fish, corals and invertebrates were happy campers. I went on vacation for 3 weeks one summer and had a live in house sitter watch the two dogs and the aquarium. Their job was tough for the aquarium, they needed to keep the water level in the sump between two lines. Supposedly checked every day, but honestly they could have done it every 3 days and still been fine. All they had to do was turn the little water valve handle right over the sump for a moment and they would be all set. Everything else was automatic. When we returned home, I could smell the disaster from outside the house. The task became too tasking for them and so they thought they could just fill it back up before we returned. Needless to say, the level got below the pump suction and so water stopped flowing to the tank and in a few more days, everything was dead. You can probably imagine what the smell was like, only double that imagination and you will be close to being there. I gave up at that point and vowed to never do another tank again. Well I'm going to retire soon and my wife and I have decided that priority one in the new house is a really special reef tank. I've got a lot to learn since I've been out for so long and believe it or not, the world of reef keeping seems to have marched forward quite a bit. Hope I can catch up. Glad to be back.

Welcome back sven!!! That's a great name. It was a choice between that and Gunther for my Volvo. I'm almost retired also. Building what I hope to be my last and best set up now. Do a build thread. It's fun to see the progress!!!

Welcome back!

So, is your house sitter still alive? :D

Kevin

Welcome back. I recognize the name. I first started back in 2002 also. My tank is now well established and I have gone through various types and now have all SPS

Funny, but I sort of miss this process of putting it all together over the years. Enjoy the process.

What type of tank are you planning? How large?

I'm thinking around 300 for the display, but plan to do the 750 sump again, I think it really helped stabilize everything. Not sure may go a little smaller on the display, choosing a home around it.

Welcome back! I'm slowly wading back into the reef again as well. I was pretty active several years ago then I went on vacation for two weeks one summer...

Anyway, I don't regret getting back into it, but I did need to take a couple years off to get over the disaster.

Back