High Calcium

Dave Dunbar

Hello
Ive got a 120 reef with a small bioload and mostly LPS and some softies... My calcium is about 500ppm I use RO/DI water and have 0 TDS on the meter How can the calcium keep that high? I also have a 29 reef with all softies and 2 clowns and a BTA using the same water source that I use in the 120 but the calcium in the 29 is only 420. cant see why its higher in the 120. I'm using a brand new Salifert test kit and doing the test right after each other. Any Ideas? My alk is at 7.4dKH and seems to stay there.
Dave

Last edited:
Oceanic salt is known for having high calcium levels, as one possible issue. I take it you aren't dosing anything into either tank?

500 ppm is probably not high enough to cause any damage, so I wouldn't be worried yet.

I agree 100% with Bertoni. What kind of salt are you using ? I'll bet it is Oceanic, ReefCrystals or Red Sea.....

Hello
I use seachem salt and no dosing what so ever. why would one tank be higher if everything is the same... LR, salt, water,food
all the same, The bioload is higher in the 120 but that wouldnt add any calcium?
Dave

Hmm, this isn't making any sense to me yet. The bioload isn't the issue. Some water changes should fix the issue over time, and keeping the alkalinity above 7 dKH will help keep calcification going at whatever rate the tank supports.

Back