High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

This is a quote from a Ron Shimek article you may find inspiring ?

"Upon examination of the material of a coral reef it becomes apparent that corals are only one component of the life on such a reef, and although they appear large and evident, their contribution to the actual amount of living material on the reef is relatively small.

In their pioneering study of the reef at Enewetak atoll, the Odums in 1955 showed that the majority of non-bacterial biomass on a "coral" reef was actually in the form of algae. They found that various types of algae were everywhere. There were algae growing in the coral tissues, of course, as zooxanthellae, but additionally there were algae growing freely and widely across the coral reef. The algae on the surface of the reef were diverse in form, and belonged to many groups, from large green algae such as Codium, to coralline red algae, to coralline green algae, to diatoms and dinoflagellates. In point of fact, they found enough algae on the reef to consider it far more reasonable to call such reefs algal reefs instead of coral reefs. I wonder how many aquarists would be hobbyists today if these biogenic structures were named after their most abundant life forms and called "algal reefs" rather than coral reefs.

In addition to the algae growing visibly on the surface of the rocks, the Odums were surprised to find that algae were growing INSIDE of all the substrates on a reef. Algae, primarily filamentous green algae, lived inside of coral heads, inside of dead coral skeleton, and inside of all coral rock and rubble. In fact, on an old coral atoll such as Enewetak where all evidence of the volcano that gave the reef its start has vanished with subsidence (the volcanic basis for the reef at Enewetak is found under some 5,000 feet (1515 m) of coral reef deposited over several million of years coral growth), virtually all of the rocks are riddled with algae and contain a lot of algal growth and biomass.

The Odums found that in the average coral head, in the region of the polyps, the density of the algal component was about 0.004 grams/cm3 and the animal component was about 0.021 g/cm3, while among the bases of the polyps the filamentous algae had a density of about 0.022 g/cm3. Below the polyp zone of the coral head the algae had a density of 0.037 g/cm3. In other words, in a coral head with living coral tissue on it, the animal component accounted for about one-fourth of the total, 0.021 g/cm3, while the various algal components amounted for 0.063 g/cm3. Interestingly, as well, the filamentous algal component of a coral head had a much greater biomass (about 16 times greater) than did the zooxanthellae in the coral.

The algae in the coral heads do not die when the coral animal does, and the amount of the coral algae in various rock components of the reef is shown in Figure 1. This figure, modified from the Odums' 1955 paper, shows the relative biomass of several rocky areas on the reef. I have colored the algal biomass amounts green, and the biomass inside rock that could be collected as live rock in yellow. The amount of algae living inside the various components of coral rubble and rock is quite significant, and those algae are quite important to our discussion of live rock porosity. If corals are grown in environments free of the algae that colonize their skeletons, those skeletons are typically quite porous. However, the algae growing within the rock add to the porosity by dissolving fine holes for their filaments."

.http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/feature/index.php

Thank you scrubber Steve for contributing to my thread and the article on live rock. I will appreciate any and all comments as my tank progresses toward my vision.

The article was fascinating to me since I am an old hobbyist from the late 90s who was taught that live rock is the bedrock of the tank. I have often marvelled at some of the minimalist aquascapes. Of course being old I am somewhat set in my ways and although I have long abandoned the ominous rock wall scape my tank would still be considered heavy on its use of rock.

I was encouraged to read that although not all live rock is equal, all my rock is 15-20 years old and is full of life. I have counted on it for its biofiltering capacity all these years and have not been disappointed.

I was encouraged to read that although not all live rock is equal, all my rock is 15-20 years old and is full of life. I have counted on it for its biofiltering capacity all these years and have not been disappointed.

That's Gold, literally. You could sell your rock for a small fortune.
My rock was fresh from the GBR. BEEN maturing in my present tank since 2011. I could use it to start a new tank anytime,,, so much better than dry rock that is so commonly used now days. In fact I'm not sure I could still get real, fresh live rock at any of the LFS any longer, which is a bit sad.

That's Gold, literally. You could sell your rock for a small fortune.
My rock was fresh from the GBR. BEEN maturing in my present tank since 2011. I could use it to start a new tank anytime,,, so much better than dry rock that is so commonly used now days. In fact I'm not sure I could still get real, fresh live rock at any of the LFS any longer, which is a bit sad.

Yes, that is sad about real live rock not being as available. We hobbyist are partly to blame because lately the trend has been to start a new tank with dry rock. Everyone seems to be afraid of hitchhikers. I never found that to be a problem and the hitchhiker I worried about more often came on coral frags.

Anyway here is a video I made last night of my 56 gallon display, the 30 gallon macro (and hopefully seagrass) fuge and 20 gallon long sump. The fuge and the sump are in my basement in what was formerly a well room so they are quite utilitarian and not very pretty. They do the trick however and I even showed my diy hang on overflow which is working well.

https://youtu.be/b9rLQ7_YSFc

I hope to add about 6 more fish to the display. I currently have 10: 2 pajama cardinals, 2 green gobies, 2 barnacle blennies, an orange spot blenny, a linear blend, a yellow head fang blend and a blue dartfish. I would like to get a McCosker's "wrasse," a royal gramma, 2 fjrefish gobies, a yellow watchman goby and a small ocellaris clownfish. That should add more activity to the tank since so many of the fish I have now are more secretive. I chose colorful fish to add more interest too. The plan is buy them all at once, QT them for a week or so and then add them to the display all at once. I have had good luck adding multiple fish to an established tank to spread out bullying. The fish I have currently are not aggressive species which should also help. All the rockwork and hiding places should help too. So that is the plan.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the vid! That overflow is intense. So the display drains into the macro tank, and that overflows into the sump, right? That really came together quickly Dawn!

I enjoyed the vid! That overflow is intense. So the display drains into the macro tank, and that overflows into the sump, right? That really came together quickly Dawn!

I am glad that you enjoyed the video. I tried to get it to accurately depict my tank system but without being too long and burdensome to watch.

And yes, the display overflows into the macro tank which then overflows (via my diy overflow) into the sump. I think I was able to pull it together so quickly because I use flexible tubing to plumb my tanks. There was enough play and wiggle room that I did not have to change any of the plumbing at all from when the seahorse tank overflowed into the basement sump. All I did was move the display tank a bit to the left, move the hang on the back overflow box onto the display. Downstairs I moved the sump a bit to the left which made enough room to set the macro tank to the right of the sump. Since the macro tank is a 30g XH it was much taller than the sump and was perfect to have it overflow into the sump, via the diy overflow.

Usually the thought of 3 tanks plumbed together scares me because I am a KISS (keep it simple stupid) kind of a gal. However, this is pretty simple. The only thing I can foresee that could go wrong is that the diy overflow could fail, ( although I have stopped and started it over and over and it starts right up). Should that happen for some reason the sump will overflow about 15 gallons of water on the basement floor and there is a drain right there to handle that. The DC pump is designed to shut off automatically should it pump dry and the display will still be aerated by the gyre and powerhead. So it would not be disastrous if the worst scenario happened.

Equipment wise this tank system is fairly simple too. I removed the protein skimmer because I am going to let the macro algae and someday seagrass do my nutrient removal. I have cheap LED lights on the macro tank that I had been using on the sump and the seahorse tank. I am using the same heater as I was using in the reef display but now the heater is in the sump. The sump is not lighted which should encourage the sponges that are already in it to flourish even more. Cryptic zone sponges also have great potential for removing nutrients so I want to encourage that in this system as well.

I could not be more pleased with how well this worked out for me.

Big news for the tank system today...I placed an order with Live Aquaria. Some time this morning a flasher wrasse, 2 firefish, 3 yellow tail damsels, a royal gramma, a yellow watchman goby, and an ocellaris clown are arriving. My QTs are all set up and ready. I do not plan to medicate unless I see disease. I will give them about a week or 2 and then move them all at once into the display.

The fish have arrived alive! They all look real good except 1 or 2 of the yellow tail damsels is floating oddly in the QT. Hopefully its just an adjustment issue.

all the best with them.

Thanks scrubber Steve. Sadly none of the damsel made it. They were all in the same QT tank and now I am worried that something was wrong with that tank to cause the problem. All the other fish in the other QT seem fine, even the Carpenter flasher wrasse. I hate it when I have fish losses when I get new fish. Generally if they make it the first 2 weeks I have them for years but its always a risk at first.

Great news on the new fish. Sorry the damsels didn't make it. Did they get big lesions on their sides? What were their symptoms?

I am not sure what happened with the damsels and now a firefish is not looking good. There were no lesions or marks on any of them.

Perhaps this was a poor decision but I moved all the healthy looking fish into the display. I may regret that but it's done now. I will let you all know how things go.

I am not sure what happened with the damsels and now a firefish is not looking good. There were no lesions or marks on any of them.

Perhaps this was a poor decision but I moved all the healthy looking fish into the display. I may regret that but it's done now. I will let you all know how things go.

Oops, my tablet is so slow that it acts like it did not post and then I end up double posting.

The fish that got moved were the carpenter flasher wrasse, the royal gramma, the ywg, the clownfish and the 1 firefish.

I've had terrible luck with Live Aquaria fish orders. I don't know if it's the new normal, or the fish I ordered were more susceptible. You'd think damsels would be easy. I think damsels maybe don't get the best conditions in the chain of custody. This really forced me to get better at quarantine - finally.

I've had terrible luck with Live Aquaria fish orders. I don't know if it's the new normal, or the fish I ordered were more susceptible. You'd think damsels would be easy. I think damsels maybe don't get the best conditions in the chain of custody. This really forced me to get better at quarantine - finally.

I had really good luck with Live Aquaria my first time I ordered from them. That is where the barnacle blennies and the linear blenny came from back in Sept 2018. A sailfin arrived deadthat order but everyone else did well. t I still have all 3 blennies.

Unfortunately not so much this time. I lost the 1 firefish this morning so that's 4 out of 9. It's disheartening. Good news is the wrasse, the Royal gramma, the clown and the living firefish have all eatten in the display tank. They are comfortably swimming out in the open water and look real good. The YWG is residing in a cave but not cowering. I have not seen it eat yet but he is robust looking so I am still optimistic. These fish are great additions to the tank and definitely add the activity and color I was looking for.

My lfs has yellow tail damsels so I may get them there instead of Live Aquaria.

So far the 5 new fish in the display still look very good and I am encouraged. They really add to beauty of the tank and I really hope that I do not lose any of them.

Live Aquaria gave me credit on all the losses and I appreciate it but I think I may only get live fish from my lfs from now on. I feel awful losing animals like that.

That's good to hear. I look forward to seeing them!

I reached the same conclusion with LA. You're right, it's an awful feeling.

Back