High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

That's good to hear. I look forward to seeing them!

I reached the same conclusion with LA. You're right, it's an awful feeling.
I will post a video soon of the tank with the new fish.

I did a survey for Live Aquaria and told them that they get good ratings on customer service, promptness in delivery and response to losses but I gave them a poor rating on the quality of the fish. Having worked in a lfs I know shipping losses happen but 4 of 9 is too high for me. I said I would order inverts, coral and dry goods but no more live fish for me. I just thought they should know.

O yeah, this morning the yellow watchman began to eat so all the new fish are eating which is usually the turning point for a positive outcome.

I look forward to another great vid!

Good idea on the survey. They need to hear that.

A few months ago, they were the best option, with descent prices, $99 free shipping, and credit for losses to credit cards. Now their prices have skyrocketed, free shipping at $149, and store credit only. Big dif!

I will probably try another on line vender or two in the future for multi-fish orders, but single fish buys will go to my LFS.

Great job on the video and tank!!

Liveaquaria has definitely decreased in quality and increased in price. I've heard that Petco recently bought them and their policies are changing? It makes sense to me, considering Petco's livestock health...

I look forward to another great vid!

Good idea on the survey. They need to hear that.

A few months ago, they were the best option, with descent prices, $99 free shipping, and credit for losses to credit cards. Now their prices have skyrocketed, free shipping at $149, and store credit only. Big dif!

I will probably try another on line vender or two in the future for multi-fish orders, but single fish buys will go to my LFS.

Be sure to share Michael when you try another online vendor.

Great job on the video and tank!!

Liveaquaria has definitely decreased in quality and increased in price. I've heard that Petco recently bought them and their policies are changing? It makes sense to me, considering Petco's livestock health...

I have been hearing similar stories. It's a shame because I had good luck a couple years ago with Live Aquaria.

The 5 fish that survived the first week seem to all be adjusting well. Well enough that I am ready to name them. The clownfish is Ozzy, the firefish is Flame, the Royal Gramma is Big Mouth, the Carpenter wrasse is Plank and the Yellow Watchman goby is Guardian. With Barney & Betty (the barnacle blennies), Jet & Piper (the citron gobies,) Jammies & PJ (the cardinals), Linus and Marmalade (the combtooth blennies) and Sir Lancelot the venomous blenny that makes 14 fish in the display. I would love to buy 2 more yellow tail damsels from my lfs but the tank is pretty active now and that may be pushing it. Everyone seems to be getting along well and that is a feat with that many fish in that volume of water even if some of them are small. There are 4 shrimp, a hermit and nassarius snails too who all need their own space as well. So I will probably leave things as they are in the spirit of not messing up a good thing.

The 30 gallon fuge is really flourishing. The macro algae established almost immediately. Its primarily feather caulerpa right now but there is some red grape and red titan too.

Last edited:
I agree, wait on the damsels. Good to hear on the fuge! Still planning to add seagrass? Fun fish names!

How is the overall system doing? Are you noticing any differences? Are you enjoying the fuge?

I agree, wait on the damsels. Good to hear on the fuge! Still planning to add seagrass? Fun fish names!

How is the overall system doing? Are you noticing any differences? Are you enjoying the fuge?

Yes, I would still like to put seagrass in the 30 gallon fuge. The reason I have not moved on that is because Samson still resides in that tank. For the seagrass to get established I think I would need to do a large export of the caulerpa which is undoubtedly helping with nutrient removal. If nutrients and DOC get too high Samson will be vulnerable to getting sick and he is already in a tank that is not ideally suited to the needs of a Seahorse. Also the caulerpa provides nice soft hitches for him. I can wait on the grasses until I do not have Samson anymore.

Over all the system is working better than I could imagine. I have a little slimy algae (maybe dinos) in the 30 gallon fuge but not much. Hopefully the caulerpa will outcompete it. It seems to be.

The multiple overflows are working perfectly. To feed the fish I turn the main pump on 'feed mode' 2Xs a day and everything starts up perfectly every time so I am getting confident that my DIY overflow is as dependable as the overflow box on the display tank.

It is so great to not have to carry any water up the stairs and just do the water change right there next to the basement sump tanks. I am still learning what the right amount of WC per week is right for this system. I need to watch nitrates and phosphorus to learn that, plus watch how the coral and macro algae respond.

That sounds great. It all seems to be coming together nicely. Hopefully you're not getting dinos. But if you do, it's fixable. Pods, snails and mollies can help. UV too.

Sadly I just found Guardian dead on the bottom of the tank. That stinks, I really thought even though it appeared that he had a bacterial thing going on with the gills on the right, he was eating so well that I thought he was going to beat it. Bummer! Down to 13 fish...good thing I am not superstitious!

Very nice! Enjoyed the vid. So much to see, with corals and macros. Tank looks great, fish look great.

Thank you Michael. I am really pleased with this tank and the direction it has gone. It's pretty dirty in the video and the water gurgling is much exaggerated. It's not silent but more of a gentle gurgle like those little fountains people get for their living rooms. Most of the water noise comes from the gyre since I have it rippling the surface. I much prefer that to it trenching my sanded.

https://youtu.be/dsQB8NoCapw

This video is better than the prior one. Although there is still the water noise, I cleaned the glass and captured the fish better.

I need to turn the gyre off when I am doing videos so the loud gurgling does not distract from the tank.

This morning I got an ORA aquacultured Hippopus clam with the credit from my fish losses. I feel inverts have a better chance being mailed overnight and I have been wanting another clam ever since I sold my blue crocea.

I placed this 2" clam at the bottom of the tank in the sand with a cup shaped piece of live rock under it. It's my hope that it attaches its byssal thread to the rock and then it can be moved if that is ever necessary. I will video it when it opens and the lights are on.

Cool. I've never kept a clam. I look forward to hearing your experience. Good luck with it!
This is only my 2nd clam but I had very good luck with the blue crocea. They are supposedly the most difficult as they have high light needs. HOT5s are pretty effective though and I did keep that clam up higher in the tank. This Hippopus clam needs only medium light and should be on the substrate. I had never heard of Hippopus clams and now that I got one I think I know why: they are not nearly as showy as the other greater clams. It's color is kind of plain and it's mantel does not hang over the shell at all. It was less money and I am ok with it being a little ordinary. It looks and acts healthy and that is what I really care about.

Back