High Phosphate Levels In New Setup

I am worried about how long the phosphate will keep leaching out. Sure hate to spend the cash to buy another 100 or so pounds of LR.

My wallet says you can either buy new rock and eat ramen noodles for a couple of months or keep the rock.

Yes - here is a cut & paste from ordering the reagents.

HN1315 Hanna Instruments Phosphate LR Reagents - 25 Tests 1 $8.99

It is definitely a Phosphate checker.

I have some LANTHANUM CHLORIDE coming tomorrow from my favorite get stuff quick web site. I will see what happens.

Test to see if I can insert a picture.
20151013_1929431_zpse22nxdkf.jpg.html

I had a really bad outbreak of LHA. It is finally gone. Took almost a year. My rocks were really leaching. The tank has been set up for just over 5 years. I used vodka and lots of removing the algae. You are in a much better position than I was. No algae or critters yet. I will always use at least the lowest dose of vodka from now on. There is a really great compiled article you can read and formulate your own opinion from.

Vodka Dosing. Notes From The Trenches. From reefkeeping.com

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shelley

Update - I put LANTHANUM CHLORIDE in my tank 24 hours ago and the phosphate was around .5 ppm. I basically followed the directions on the bottle 1ml per 10 gallons and then added a couple of extra ml because there is no live stock in the tank. I put filter socks inside of each other in my sump figuring it would help catch the results (precipitate ?).

Just ran a test and it is down to .08 ppm. This stuff really works. I thought you guys were pulling my leg!

Any suggestions on how I should proceed? I figured I wouldn't do anything right now and do a retest Saturday to see if it goes back up.

tkeracer wrote up a procedure on it, but you'll probably have to do it a few times in order to get it all. Glad to hear it worked!

I would dose again bringing it down to .03-.01 then wait a week retest and repeat. If it doesn't rise back up then I would say it's all done leaching. Keep us posted

I would dose again bringing it down to .03-.01 then wait a week retest and repeat. If it doesn't rise back up then I would say it's all done leaching. Keep us posted

That was my experience curing some rock in some tubs. The first few doses it can jump back up pretty quick as the rock leeches back into the water. It should take a little longer each time for the phos to creep back up as you continue dosing. I slow dripped into a sock, the precipitate can make a mess.

I am not sure about the "precipitate". I haven't seen anything and my sump socks appear to be pretty clean. Also, I was just putting the LC straight into my sump. The water clouded up but cleared in a couple of hours. Where would I see it and what does it look like?

I have kept the turbulence in the tank going pretty good.

Back