High Wattage Heater

Itchy Trigger

I'd like to heat water in a 300g vertical water storage tank. I want to use a high wattage heater, maybe 1000w, so as to get the job done more quickly. I have a Finnex titanium 1000w heater, which works well, but the cord between the heater and the controller isn't long enough to allow me to keep the heater at the bottom of the 78" tall storage tank. Can anyone recommend a 1000w heater that has a longer cord (at least longer between the controller and the heater?

How about a submersible pond heater? I found the "Hepo Pond Heater Floating for Koi Fish Pond Winter Anti Ice 150w / 300w / 600w" as an example. No experience with it, but it appears to be what you're aiming for.

How about a submersible pond heater? I found the "Hepo Pond Heater Floating for Koi Fish Pond Winter Anti Ice 150w / 300w / 600w" as an example. No experience with it, but it appears to be what you're aiming for.

Good idea - will investigate further. Thanks!

Looks like I'm going to just dangle an 800 watt Finnex from the top of each storage tank. Their TH-S heaters have a 6 ft cord, so I can get the heaters just about all the way to the bottom if I mount the controllers on top of the tanks. :thumbsup:

Although I've never tested it (or seen it tested), I have a feeling that wattage won't make much of a difference; any increase or decrease in cooking time (due to higher or lower wattage) will be minor.

How about a external pail / drum heater? The kind that wraps around the outside of the tank

Think this is a good idea too. But there are something that I think should be pointed. The water closest to the heater will be the hottest so that I think you'll needed an aquarium thermometer. This is one I can recommend https://pickedbyfish.com/best-aquarium-thermometer/#product3 you can connect it to your smartphone.
You should know that if you use a submersible heater, you must turn it off every time you change the water. If you don't, you risk destroying your aquarium heater and freezing your fish. And also it takes attention away from the painstaking effort you put into perfectly recreating your fish's natural habitat. Because an in-line heater is located externally, you are left with nothing but the beauty of your fish floating around – nothing ugly.

Back