HOB Skimmer Reccomendation

Orcus Varuna

Hi all, I need some help with an HOB skimmer reccomendation for my 29 gallon reef. For some back story, the skimmer on my work tank (an aquac remora which I absolutely hate so I can rule that out) has sprung a leak and needs to be replaced. I currently have the Eshoppes PSK-75H on my home tank and am going to donate it to the work tank. I like the Eshoppes but it has a couple of things that irritate the he** out of me. It is hard to clean, difficult to adjust and I find it to be quite noisy (the tank is in my bedroom). Other then that the Eshoppes is awesome!

My requirements for the new skimmer are as follows... It must be easy to clean, easy to adjust, "quieter" (I know I am never going to get silent on an HOB skimmer but I just want it to be quieter with a nicely designed silencer system. I am hoping the silencer helps as the eshoppes does not have one), HOB not in tank (pump can be internal or external as heat is not an issue) and finally i do not want to buy another skimmer for a nice long while so it must work well on a larger tank if/when I upgrade. :D

I have narrowed my choices to the Aquamaxx HOB-1, Aqumaxx ConeS HOB and Reef Octopus classic 1000. The only issue is I am now in a state of paralysis by analysis and this thread is my cry for help :lolspin:. Finally I am open to other suggestions if there is a consensus better choice that I am not aware of!!! Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
Hi all, I need some help with an HOB skimmer reccomendation for my 29 gallon reef. For some back story, the skimmer on my work tank (an aquac remora which I absolutely hate so I can rule that out) has sprung a leak and needs to be replaced. I currently have the Eshoppes PSK-75H on my home tank and am going to donate it to the work tank. I like the Eshoppes but it has a couple of things that irritate the he** out of me. It is hard to clean, difficult to adjust and I find it to be quite noisy (the tank is in my bedroom). Other then that the Eshoppes is awesome!

My requirements for the new skimmer are as follows... It must be easy to clean, easy to adjust, "quieter" (I know I am never going to get silent on an HOB skimmer but I just want it to be quieter with a nicely designed silencer system. I am hoping the silencer helps as the eshoppes does not have one), HOB not in tank (pump can be internal or external as heat is not an issue) and finally i do not want to buy another skimmer for a nice long while so it must work well on a larger tank if/when I upgrade. :D

I have narrowed my choices to the Aquamaxx HOB-1, Aqumaxx ConeS HOB and Reef Octopus classic 1000. The only issue is I am now in a state of paralysis by analysis and this thread is my cry for help :lolspin:. Finally I am open to other suggestions if there is a consensus better choice that I am not aware of!!! Thank you all for your help.

Have you considered a Deltec hang on? they are in a league all their own as far as hang ons go for performance, and are 100% silent as well. the mce400 would be your best bet.

Have you considered a Deltec hang on? they are in a league all their own as far as hang ons go for performance, and are 100% silent as well. the mce400 would be your best bet.

I did but when I was researching it appeared they were no longer sold in the US. Please point me in the right direction if I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquamaxx HOB-1. I ran it on my 29 gal nanocube and then temporarily modified it to run on my Red Sea Max 250. It ran awesome. It was very easy to adjust and very quiet. Look up some vids on youtube.

Just wanted to update I decided to just stick with the eshoppes because it does work well and I ordered another for work. lo and behold this one came with a silencer in the box so I grabbed it, put it on my skimmer at home and now it is dead silent. I am very happy camper and can live with the difficult cleaning because the price is right. But thank you again everyone for your help it is much appreciated.

Just wanted to update I decided to just stick with the eshoppes because it does work well and I ordered another for work. lo and behold this one came with a silencer in the box so I grabbed it, put it on my skimmer at home and now it is dead silent. I am very happy camper and can live with the difficult cleaning because the price is right. But thank you again everyone for your help it is much appreciated.

One more thing, I saw a deltec in person the other day and yeah when I upgrade that will be the buy. The slop that thing was pulling was awesome and I could not hear it unless my ear was on the skimmer. Truly is an awesome product, thank you again for letting me know where I can buy them. I will be in touch when upgrade time strikes!!!!

Back