Hog 1 algae scrubber

Salinity01

I have a DSA 105 gal with a 15 gal sump. I do not over feed. I was thinking about picking up a santa monica HOG 1 or HOG 1x to throw in my sump to replace the GFO that is fairly expensive. When running GFO i have no algae. When it hets time to change hair algae starts to grow on the glass. Does anybody here use these scrubbers. Any thoughts at all on this theory.

I think scrubbers are a good filtration method and yes that HOG is expensive LOL I made a down flow ATS for my 50 that was suspended over the sump. It worked great. Thinking about adapting it to the 200 now - easily done with a larger screen and some more LEDs. They do control nutrients and I see little downside, though that's still an open question. It's pictured in my thread on that build.

I think the answer is no one can tell you with 100% certainty it will eliminate the need for other means of export. Each tank is different. Will that particular scrubber meet the needs of your tank? Maybe is probably as good as it gets. Read the various threads on ATS and visit the site for them. An ATS worked well in my 50g. Did not have algae issues. I also didn't have a low range meter to do better testing for PO4, but PO4 didn't appear to be an issue. The scrubber grew alga and the corals grew. Never use GFO or other phosphate binding products. Just some carbon dosing, GAC and the scrubber.

I tried a DIY scrubber for 11 months without GFO and it worked wonderful until I tried a LED plant bulb after that a DISASTER! I know for sure it works if done properly, besides GFO is super expensive.

I am interested in this as well.

Anyone else with this product that can share comments, etc?

Thanks,
Ken

Back