Horizontal Overflow

zenzence

Premium Member
Hey,

I am looking for a horizontal overflow and instructions on how to set it up. I have done a search and havent found much. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

I drilled my holes near the top of the back of the tank, and then eclosed them with a glass trough made from 2 pieces of glass siliconed in an L shape. The overflow runs the length of the tank and isattached to the side panels with silicone. The most important thing is getting the top edge exactly level, so that the water overflows it in an even layer. If it is not level the water will tend to overlfow at one side, leaving the other side dry.

HMM that sound interesting do ya have any pictures of your overflow. Could this be done with acrylic as well?

Thanks

Has anybody built a horizontal overflow that drains out the side instead of through holes drilled in the back of the tank? I love the idea of the L-shaped wier running the lenth of the tank because it would do lots of skimming, but I don't want to drill the back of my 285 g because it is 1) full and 2) ten yrs old. I am thinking of building an L-shaped wier with the top edge flat and the bottom sloping toward my tanks one overflow in the tank's back right-hand corner.

Does such a thing sound feasible?

GLD it is very doable. You will get great surface skimming and a very thing weir depth.

Zen... I don't have any photos at the moment. Glass is a better choice, as it will be much easier silicone to the tank. Of course if the tank is acrylic, then you want an acrylic weir.

Depth and width are your preference, but leave enough room in case you want down turn elbows on your bulkheads. Length is the length of the tank. I set my top edge about 1/8 above the bottom of the trim.

Has anyone thought of siliconing a strip of acrylic in the lip where the cover sits, and extending about an inch over the top of the tank - with a 12 inch section or so, missing, so that the water overflows right over the TOP edge of the tank, right through missing section. No drilling involved, and the overflow could be attached to the outside of the tank.

The design of the hood would have to take into account the extra height, and it would probably not be as good at bearing any weight as the actual top of the tank.

I extened my original sump height (20 long) that way. Strip of acrylic on all 4 sides. It would work I guess.

Bean

Back