How are my zoas still living...

cORALfREEK

uploadfromtaptalk1433883817250.jpg

These things have been closed for over a month, yet they are still living. I've had them high and low all over the tank, I can't figure out why they won't open. They've been dipped numerous times with nothing coming off of them. My 2 big colonies are like this. All my other frags are ok but none of them open the whole way. The tank is almost a year old, 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. Skimmer runs 24/7 and I'm also running GFO. I recently had someone algae from high phosphates, but have since taken care of that. What would cause them to act like this? I bought them a about 2 years ago on a frag with about 5 polyps, they have done amazing up to this point.

SG- 1.0245
Temp- 80
Nitrate- 5ppm
Alk- 8.96dkh
Calc- 420ppm
Mag- 1380ppm
Ph- 8.3

I have so much flow already. An mp40 and an mp10 I had them up as far as half way on both in lagoonal. Montis were loving it but zoas never opened up. I can practically watch everything else grow. They used to be taller and larger diameter, they have gotten close to the rock and smaller in diameter since they started declining.

Have you added anything new recently? GFO dust can really irritate corals, did you add that to take care of the algae? I would consider dipping the colonies also if you haven't.

Well, is their any nearby aggressive corals that could sting them? Have you changed lights lately? Also, after light go out you might want to take a flashlight and see if anything pest or anything else is bothering them.

I tried everything mentioned. I've only ever dipped in RO water though.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434145417290.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434145417290.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
uploadfromtaptalk1434145652556.jpgOther than the zoas, tank is doing awesome. My Montis and euphiylla have soo much growth. I'm also running a reefbreeders photon 32 light. I had it maxing at 40 blue and 13 white. I turned it down about 4 days ago maxing at 28 blue and 7 white.

Did the Bayer dip. All I got was a tiny bristle worm. Haven't noticed anything different yet. Could I possibly be running too much GFO? I have 5.5oz in a nextreef reactor, changing every week but still have some gha on sand.

It's safe to say all my colonies and frags except one are doing bad. The one that's doing good is an eagle eye colony that's fight for space with button polyps.

I don't think its too much light, if anything with the value's posted i would almost think it's not enough light. i have a photon 48 and my zoas were doing just fine high up and low in the tank and the peak on the led's were 60blue 30 white.

My bet is on the GFO. I've encounter similar results when I've pulled phosphates out of the system rapidly.

My bet is on the GFO. I've encounter similar results when I've pulled phosphates out of the system rapidly.
It's got to be, I cut down the amount of gfo. Its been 2 days but no signs yet. Every single zoa in my tank is like this except one colony, and I don't understand why that one isn't bothered.
I don't think its too much light, if anything with the value's posted i would almost think it's not enough light. i have a photon 48 and my zoas were doing just fine high up and low in the tank and the peak on the led's were 60blue 30 white.
I had the lights much higher, can't remember I think I had them at 40 blue and 13 white for the majority of the tanks life. Just turned them down when I encountered these issues. The light is 11 inches or so off the water.

Last edited:
This is enough to make me want to tear the tank down. I've had tanks setup for a few years now. In the past you could say I didn't really take care of them, but growth was amazing and never had issues. My husbandry has gotten way better since, but obviously the tanks are doing worse lol.

Back