How bad is this?

Zach117

bracing.jpg

The top bracing to the tank is cracked all the way around. The glass is not affected. Should I try and fix it?

I would think that structurally the most important part of the top bracing is the corners and any middle bracing. How many gallons is the tank?

I'm assuming this is on the no place other than the FRONT of the tank? Luck would not let this be out of sight.

Can't tell from the picture, but is the center brace still intact? If it is, you "might" be OK. The center brace is wjat keeps it from bowing at the top. Keep an eye on the gap. If it widens even a bit, that just means it's starting to bow out and you should have "plan B" ready to put into action. Honestly, for long term peace of mind, you should think about either replacing the top brace at the very least. The mfr. usually sells replacements. It's not a small task though.

I had the same thing on the bottom of my 125, It still held water just fine. You can find replacement braces for them I never looked thou as my tank was about 30 years old and I'm sure had tons of chemicals dumped into it over the years. I just used it as an excuse to the wife to get a different tank. I was also a bit wary of filling it with salt water and have something go wrong in the future.

The bottom isn't a problem since the bottom plate will keep the glass from bowing. As mentioned above, you need a center brace on the top to be safe. I've replaced them and also as said before, not a trivial task to get the old one off. You could also consider making a nice canopy or frame on the top of the tank if you're handy. If this is a standard production 125g (6 feet long) then that's a long stretch of glass to go unsupported on the top.

Back