how do i keep a goniopora alive?

What do you do to keep them? I was asking more for direction rather that being shot down about what I have read. I have no doubts about all the misinformation out there, but what exactly do you recommend?

I have a red & blue for a few months & a tiel one (8 months?) that was a hitchhiker......

medium to high flow, medium to high light.

both are doing great so far! I feed nutramar every 2 weeks or so with a turkey baster...

Gonis need food and lots of it! They are from nutrient enriched waters and survive from what they eat. From what i understand most Gonis dont live long in captivity because they do not eat and slowly use of there stored up food supply and when thats gone they start to die. With that being said Gonis are hard to keep but not impossible. Some people have had success with them. I recommend a light flow enough to make sure crap cannot settle on it. I also recommend feeding phyto plankton a few times a week. Also i have heard awesome things about REEF ROIDS. Im going to stress this point because reef roids is the only food that is designed for gonis specifically. I would definitely give this a shot.
With that being said i have had my goni for about 6 months now and it opens really well and seems actually bigger than when i got it. Making it past the year mark is the key if you can do that you have really done something! Also certain Goni do better than other types for instance i know the ORA ones are more hardy. I hope this helps!

Gonis need food and lots of it! They are from nutrient enriched waters and survive from what they eat. From what i understand most Gonis dont live long in captivity because they do not eat and slowly use of there stored up food supply and when thats gone they start to die. With that being said Gonis are hard to keep but not impossible. Some people have had success with them. I recommend a light flow enough to make sure crap cannot settle on it. I also recommend feeding phyto plankton a few times a week. Also i have heard awesome things about REEF ROIDS. Im going to stress this point because reef roids is the only food that is designed for gonis specifically. I would definitely give this a shot.
With that being said i have had my goni for about 6 months now and it opens really well and seems actually bigger than when i got it. Making it past the year mark is the key if you can do that you have really done something! Also certain Goni do better than other types for instance i know the ORA ones are more hardy. I hope this helps!
+1! I had mine for 6 months and haven't had time to feed it and needless to say it is receding. Definitely get an ORA one if you can and feed!

Well my wife called me today to tell me that the purple goniopora is finally open to the fullest. Has anyone ever experienced this same problem where it remains closed for weeks and then opens up all of a sudden. I have not changed anything at all.........lights, feeding, flow, temp, parameters.....................all remain the same

Mine stays closed for days then the flowers come out for a day. I guess it just does its thing. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

^^^^ ok, good to know..............its just that when i first got it mths ago, it would open every day. So when this happenned, i got worried..............thanks

Thank you everyone for the input, I will get some of the food that you guys are suggesting. I am really loving this coral, and am thinking about taking it back to get the blue goni at the LFS since I hear there is a better success rate with those. So far its opening up everyday, and eating lots of food (cyclopeeze every other day at the moment). It is even starting to host one of my sexy shrimp without closing all the way up. :spin2:

pic she sent me earlier. I'm glad its open now. Has'nt opend up in weeks

Attachments

• Flower pot coral.jpg
    Flower pot coral.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
Back